Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
I like it. Nice shooting too. I recently picked up a sheriff's model from another forum member. Mine is 44 sp. & 44-40. It also shoots great. I see you have a black powder style frame. If given the choice I would of bought one like that as I like the original style. What do you use to remove the shell cases? I use a pencil for now. Plan one buying an old skeleton key.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like it. Nice shooting too. I recently picked up a sheriff's model from another forum member. Mine is 44 sp. & 44-40. It also shoots great. I see you have a black powder style frame. If given the choice I would of bought one like that as I like the original style. What do you use to remove the shell cases? I use a pencil for now. Plan one buying an old skeleton key.
I use a pencil as well. My daughter ( who is in the photo) used her little finger nail. The casings fall right out.

·
Premium Member
4,587 Posts
Very nice shooting and very nice Sheriffs model. I have one too and really like it’s looks. Thanks for sharing it with us.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Nice gun and great shooting. I have wanted one of the short barrel, ejectorless single actions ever since handling one of the USFA examples a few years ago.

What exactly are the differences between a Storekeepers Model and a Sheriffs Model ?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice gun and great shooting. I have wanted one of the short barrel, ejectorless single actions ever since handling one of the USFA examples a few years ago.

What exactly are the differences between a Storekeepers Model and a Sheriffs Model ?
The Store Keeper is the longer of the shorties…I think the barrel is 4 “ long. Unbelievable how much less obtrusive it is than even the 4 3/4. If it had an ejector it would be perfect. In my opinion.

·
Premium Member
931 Posts

I'm genuinely curious of the same thing. You hear all three names thrown around: Storekeepers Model, Barkeepers, Model, and Sheriffs Model. Is there an actual specific difference between them or are they all nicknames for the same thing? Like how Lightning, Rainmaker, and Thunderer are all the same gun but difference calibers of the 1877.

I think it's interesting that Carper mentions the Storekeeper is the longer of the shorties at 4". Has anyone heard the same? And then what length are the other two?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm genuinely curious of the same thing. You hear all three names thrown around: Storekeepers Model, Barkeepers, Model, and Sheriffs Model. Is there an actual specific difference between them or are they all nicknames for the same thing? Like how Lightning, Rainmaker, and Thunderer are all the same gun but difference calibers of the 1877.

I think it's interesting that Carper mentions the Storekeeper is the longer of the shorties at 4". Has anyone heard the same? And then what length are the other two?

·
Premium Member
931 Posts
I need my experience the Storekeeper has been the most difficult of the shorties to find. The blue/ch even more so. As you can see it’s marked right on the barrel Colt Storekeeper Model View attachment 741258
Well what do ya know, it quite literally is right there on the barrel, haha. I suppose I forgot Colt actually did use it as an actual model name later on in production rather than it simply remaining as a nickname.

Now the question is, did Colt ever use Sheriffs Model or Barkeeps Model as official names and what length were those? If not, what do they refer to in the collector's world? There are 3 inchers out there, which I imagine is the Sheriffs Model.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts