Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI
I AM NEW TO COLLECTING. I CURRENTLY PURCHASED SOME BEAUTIFUL COLTS AND WIPE THEM DOWN WITH TUF STUSS CLOTHS AND KEEP THEM IN BORE STORES. DO YOU THINK THIS WILL KEEP THEM IN TOP SHAPE.
ANY ADVISE WOULD BE APPRECIATED.
THANX,
JERRY

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,893 Posts
Sorry, I never heard of Tuff Stuss.

Depending on your needs, and the conditions under which you are storing the guns, you might look into using Vapor Paper and the special plastic bags for storage.

This is how the military and industry now store metal.
The special plastic bags come in pistol and rifle sizes.
These bags are made of a special "hard" plastic material that won't pass moisture.

The Vapor Paper is wrapped around the gun, and when sealed in the bags, gives off a vapor that drives moisture and air out, surrounding the gun with as vapor barrier that TOTALLY prevents rust for at least 10 years.

You can buy the bags and paper in various size sheets from Brownell's. http://www.brownells.com.

One word of warning: DO NOT use ordinary plastic baggies or storage bags for this purpose.
Ordinary plastics will allow the vapor to escape and will pass moisture.

This is the best storage method available, and has the advantage that the gun can be taken out of the bag and put directly into use with no degreasing.

For collectable guns, it protects without having to coat the metal with a heavy lube or chemical that might damage some finishes or the wood grips.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Jerry, Over the years we have done it both ways, in 'vapor' paper,or sheepskin rugs, canvas gun cases(Boyt), NEVER vinyl, they do NOT breathe and now out in the open, but they are all wiped down with 'RIG' because it works on metal, wood and plastic.
Yes, if you use a safe, doesn't hurt to use the desicant paks or even the 'golden rod'. though I have NOT used mine for years.

Main thing is ,everynow and then (couple times a year?) pull them out and check them and see whats going on. I also wipe(swab) some in the bore & chambers and once a year ,will remove the grips and take a "look see" what's going on under them, again, I wipe under them with a bit of 'RIG'.
If you have stag or ivory grips, I wipe them down with 'baby oil' or you can use 'lanolin' to protect them.

Bottom line is ,use what 'works' for YOU! I just hate to see guns that were 'thought' to be "wiped down, and cased", and they pull them out once a year and they are "rusted up".
I see this all too often from other guys, who I would think were very "particular".
Remember to always handle the guns with gloves on or a sheepskin(two) never touch them, last thing they need is a big old fingerprint in the middle of nowhere, to be "seen" forever more! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

·
Registered
224 Posts
Guess there about as many answers to this as there are people to post one---let me relate the following of a post I made some time back.

Now I will be the first to admit, I live a somewhat sheltered life. However, that being the case, I have discovered something, that for those like me, who were unaware of it, may find this stuff at the very least, somewhat useful, at the most, a gift from the Red Gods. I speak of something called 'RENAISSANCE WAX'. I HAVE FOUND IT USEFUL ON KNIVES, GUNS WOOD, LEATHER, and who knows what else. A web search will bring up the poop, but as I always carry a few projects around with me, I found time to use this wax, and it has found a home here for sure. First use was on some Ivory, and a K 22 from 1951- Then put it on a couple of Randalls. It IS a keeper. Hard to believe I just ran across it as I am told it has been around for quite some time. At any rate, for those with an interest there you have it. I DON'T THINK IT WILL WORK ON THE CAT, BUT YOU NEVER KNOW??
link here--http://www.restorationproduct.com/
In addition, one trick I use as well that works just super--I have a can of SHEATH, and a couple old style shaving brushes (bristle only) I use one for my guns and knives, and one for my reloading presses and dies. One dash of Sheath will do about three hand guns, and get in ALL the nooks and crannies. This is a old trick, but bears a revisit.All guns not hanging on the safe door, also are wrapped in their own silicone cloth, and in a plastic bag. Breakfree is also used freely, you can even buy it in a handi- wipe version now, in their own plastic container. I wouldn't be without one. I always wipe down at the range as well. I can tell you, in 40 years, I have NEVER had a rust problem. Whatever works. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Now, as to Ivory, and Stag grips-- I use minerial oil, and understand from a museum in Ohio that is known for their care of and dealing in Ivory, the this is is just what I should be using. I started using it because my wife put in one her Opals-- Once a year, I leave the grips in minerial oil over night, or for at least 8 hours. Works just great. Good Luck! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Depending on your needs, and the conditions under which you are storing the guns, you might look into using Vapor Paper and the special plastic bags for storage. This is how the military and industry now store metal. The special plastic bags come in pistol and rifle sizes. These bags are made of a special "hard" plastic material that won't pass moisture. The Vapor Paper is wrapped around the gun, and when sealed in the bags, gives off a vapor that drives moisture and air out, surrounding the gun with as vapor barrier that TOTALLY prevents rust for at least 10 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks dfariswheel, I had not idea this product existed and it worked so well. I'm going to look into this and give it a try.

Can the gun be removed for a short time (under a hour) and still get the 10 year life of protection?

Addict

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,893 Posts
Sure, as long as the paper still is capable of giving off the vapor, it will still reestablish the barrier around the gun.

One thing to help out would be to push out some of the excess air, so the vapor doesn't have to fill as large a space.

Paper is cheap, so if in doubt, toss another sheet in.

Another thing I'd recommend is to wipe all exposed metal off with a patch coated with a just a bit of CLP Breakfree.
This will neutralize any finger prints.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Jerry- I'm suprised to see you crawled out from under your rock to hide behind your computer. Guys, this man has absolutely NO INTEGRITY!! He arranges for mutual 2 day air shipping and then sends his ground. He spends a month arranging a trade and then tries to bounce the little girl he did "business" with $900 for the case and cleaning kit he purchased with the gun after hers had been shipped. He refused to return her guns when requested and hid behind his "badge"as a glorified toll taker for the Bridge and Tunnel Authority in NYC. He has an accomplice that goes by "CAM," BEWARE OF BOTH OF THESE LOW LIFES!

·
Registered
11 Posts
BEWARE OF "JERRY!" This "man" spent a month arranging 2 day airshipping for a trade deal with a young lady and then sent his ground. He misrepresented the quality and condition of his gun. He tried to bounce her $900 for the case and cleaning kit that came with the gun originally after her guns had already been shipped. He refused to return her guns whaen requested. He has a shill that goes by "CAM" He says he's a cop, but his name is Gennaro Materaso and he works for the Bridge and Tunnel Authority in NYC, probably as a toll taker. BEWARE OF THIS COWARD!

·
Registered
73 Posts
please keep your posts civil. read the board rules and abide by them or be banned. if you want to talk shit about other members, do it on another board but not on mine.

i have no way to check the validity of accusations so keep them off my board. if you have a problem with another member contact me offline. if i get several complaints on the same member then i will intervene, but posting accusations about someone on your own will only get you in trouble.

-cfadmin

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.