Colt Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Thought I would share this since it falls into the same category as inexperienced people working on 1877's. I just received this trigger and cylinder stop / sear spring. I have no idea how it got into this shape, but someone got frustrated with it.

They put a homemade trigger stud that was peened on the other side. It stuck out too far, and I doubt it actually functioned. Fortunately I was able to drift it out and they didn't try to enlarge the when. The replacement stud will fit perfectly now. Just need to set it and shape it.
View attachment 705441 View attachment 705442
Yes, that 3-way spring is bent all to heck! Hope it doesn't break, next.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Yes, that 3-way spring is bent all to heck! Hope it doesn't break, next.
I tried to bend it back to a usable shape, but its shot. I believe it may be an original spring as the sear arm looks longer than the modern replacement I get from Popperts.

·
Registered
131 Posts
They put a homemade trigger stud that was peened on the other side. It stuck out too far, and I doubt it actually functioned. Fortunately I was able to drift it out and they didn't try to enlarge the when they put the homemade studd in. The replacement stud will fit perfectly now. Just need to set it and shape it.
View attachment 705441
Looking at this awful trigger stud on your picture, I think it was not really homemade but just modified by soldering a new head on the existing stud without removing it. This could explain why it was peened inside and the replacement one fits perfectly.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Looking at this awful trigger stud on your picture, I think it was not really homemade but just modified by soldering a new head on the existing stud without removing it. This could explain why it was peened inside and the replacement one fits perfectly.
You have inspired me to look at this 1877 frame one more time and try to get it working. I gave up on it long ago, but after seeing what you have done, I decided to give it another look.

At first look, the cylinder stop hole looks destroyed. But the more I thought about it, the hole is only part of the design, it also uses the notch or shelf to rotate. I cleaned out the cylinder stop hole, and used one of my "earlier attempt cylinder stops" and everything seems like it could work. I just need to get someone to drill and tap the trigger spring hole.

The hole is drilled thru the frame doesn't interfere with the action. I wonder if the hole was for a pin to push on the arm of the cylinder stop, of maybe for a coil spring to push on the cylinder stop arm. I also noticed the bump on the bottom of the inside of the frgame, which resembles the one on my .41 earlier in this thread. I seem to recall this occurred when inexperienced gunsmiths tried to strengthen the trigger spring.

I still need to find the time to finish my sheriff Model Lightning, but once that's done, I taking this one on.
20200715_143739.jpg
20200715_143748.jpg
20200715_143802.jpg
20200715_143904.jpg
20200715_143920.jpg

·
Registered
131 Posts
You have inspired me to look at this 1877 frame one more time and try to get it working. I gave up on it long ago, but after seeing what you have done, I decided to give it another look.

At first look, the cylinder stop hole looks destroyed. But the more I thought about it, the hole is only part of the design, it also uses the notch or shelf to rotate. I cleaned out the cylinder stop hole, and used one of my "earlier attempt cylinder stops" and everything seems like it could work. I just need to get someone to drill and tap the trigger spring hole.

The hole is drilled thru the frame doesn't interfere with the action. I wonder if the hole was for a pin to push on the arm of the cylinder stop, of maybe for a coil spring to push on the cylinder stop arm. I also noticed the bump on the bottom of the inside of the frgame, which resembles the one on my .41 earlier in this thread. I seem to recall this occurred when inexperienced gunsmiths tried to strengthen the trigger spring.

I still need to find the time to finish my sheriff Model Lightning, but once that's done, I taking this one on.
Thanks ! I am proud to inspire you for repearing 1877s :)
Yes I think so that hole was for a coil spring to replace the original 2 legs cyl stop & sear spring... but it didn't work due to a poor design. I think it could easyly be filled with stick welding... Anyway I am sure you'll make it work and shoot again !

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Thanks ! I am proud to inspire you for repearing 1877s :)
Yes I think so that hole was for a coil spring to replace the original 2 legs cyl stop & sear spring... but it didn't work due to a poor design. I think it could easyly be filled with stick welding... Anyway I am sure you'll make it work and shoot again !
Thanks, I will be sure to post my progress when I get around to it. I hand threaded a spare .38LC barrel on it and some parts that were lying around and had it sitting on a bookshelf. When I bought this frame, the seller told me the repair area was some gunk, after I received it, I found out they repaired the area with weld and filing. They refunded my money and let me keep the frame, and I never had a desire to do anything with it till recently. I don't know if they overheated the frame when making that weld, but I have tried several of my spare loading gates and none of them move freely. I have one in there that takes some force to close, but it is tighter than it needs to be.

I will be building this because the pressures for the .38 LC are also very mild when compared to the .41LC. I will need to outsource the trigger spring screw hole as I don't have the tools or skills to tap and die the hole. I still need to index the barrel and fit the loading gate latch, but I will probably just clean up the area and leave the hole alone. Since it is a "Frankenlightning" I am not too worried about appearances.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
To close the loop in this, I finally got this .38 LC 1877 up and functional. I found some older chewed up grips that match the frame. It cleaned up nicely from the stripped frame, qne looks it has been together for a long time. The only issue is the barrel is a later production and roll stamped. The frame is from the 1880's.

I haven't been able to fire it yet, but it locks up. Will be able to start working on the next 1877 that I also shared a few weeks ago.
20200731_075247.jpg
20200731_075304.jpg
20200731_075238.jpg

21 - 27 of 27 Posts