Colt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post, first Colt SA.

Can anyone give me some insight as to what these numbers are? They are under the trigger guard and on a flat area of the loading gate(both hidden). I know about the serial numbers and the assembly numbers. This is on a first gen that has been restored at some point. After talking to the archives people(letter coming) it was shipped to Charles Hummel and Sons in San Antonio just as configured(45lc, 4.75 barrel), just wondering about the 4 78 B numbers.

Dwight 20171209_151008.jpg

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help. Still don't have a solid answer as to who's stamp it is. I will keep searching.

49B1PW

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
As stated it is a stamp that colt put on the major parts when the gun was returned to colt by its owner for refinish or other work. The "B" is for blue. The ones that I have had will have that number not only on the two parts you mentioned but also on the sides of the trigger guard and back strap which are covered with the grips installed. It will also be on the barrel under the housing and so on. I think the one I have now even has the number on the ejector rod head. These Colt applied stamps are intended to be hidden and not readily visible without looking for them. There are other threads on this forum talking about these stamps. Perhaps try searching for "rework numbers", "refinish numbers" or "factory rework" and see if you can find them. Welcome. (PS, yours may also have a 6 pointed star on the side of the triggerguard bow. That is one of the stamps used to indicate a refinish.)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just went and looked and yes there is a star on the right side of the trigger guard. With that, I can assume that it was reworked/restored by Colt? And yes the same stampings are in several places on the gun, all hidden.

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
Unfortunately there is no way to know for sure when it was returned or what was done to it. The one I have now has a cylinder that is not numbered so my assumption is the cylinder may have been replaced by Colt when they had it or a later owner changed it. Finish-wise it matches pretty good so who knows! The first one of these I had was a 5 1/2" Artillery model that was nickeled by Colt as part of the rework. Due to polishing I guess Colt did not like what was left of the barrel address so it was rerolled with the die in use at the time of the rework. By comparing it with other 5 1/2" addresses I determined that the address dated from the 1920's; thus the return for the work would have been sometime in the 1920's. Regards.

·
Premium Member
20,523 Posts
Unfortunately there is no way to know for sure when it was returned or what was done to it. The one I have now has a cylinder that is not numbered so my assumption is the cylinder may have been replaced by Colt when they had it or a later owner changed it. Finish-wise it matches pretty good so who knows! The first one of these I had was a 5 1/2" Artillery model that was nickeled by Colt as part of the rework. Due to polishing I guess Colt did not like what was left of the barrel address so it was rerolled with the die in use at the time of the rework. By comparing it with other 5 1/2" addresses I determined that the address dated from the 1920's; thus the return for the work would have been sometime in the 1920's. Regards.

Did the rework number on your SAA end with an "N" since it was nickeled?

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
Did the rework number on your SAA end with an "N" since it was nickeled?
It was a long time ago but as I recall it did have the "N".

I looked up my old records. This artillery frame number was serial number 6312. The Colt Factory rework stamps were 937N. It was returned to Colt for the rework between 1926 and 1929 as determined by the barrel stampings. Regards.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts