Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a Colt 1860 Army Blackpowder, Signature Series about 1995. When I purchased it, I basically looked it over, cleaned and oiled it, put it in a silicone sleeve, and back in the box and put it on a shelf.
About a year ago, I got it out and noticed rust had formed on the barrel, right at the junction where the front sight is brazed in place. I sprayed Shieth rust preventer on it and put it away again. I just took it out again, and the rust bloom is now very pronounced. See the attached picture. http://www.hunt101.com/showphoto.php?photo=106278
Also, the end of the barrel has never been blued. It has clearly been cut off after bluing.
Call me not very observant to have missed this before, but I assumed this was normal for all, but it makes no sense.
What do you make of this. These to me are clearly factory defects, but with the passage of so much time I can hardly expect Colt to make it right. What do you think caused the rust bloom, and why would the barrel end be un- blued. I was planning to keep it as a collector, but in the condition it is in, it is Worthless. I would appreciate your thoughts.
Stonecove

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Stoncove

I know little about blackpowder guns, but I do know something about metal joining.
It looks to me like whoever brazed the front sight did not properly clean the flux off afterward. Whether he used an acid or rosin (rosin has an acid in it)flux, if he cleaned it with a degreaser such as perchloretheline or alcohol, that will get the oily, sticky type crud off, but he should have also used a polar solvent like water, cause acid will not desolve in alcohol or perc, but will wash off easily with water.
Thats what your picture looks like to me and I could be wrong.
Instead of rust, does it look something like a corroded battery terminal on your car?
Just MHO.

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
BUT KEEP YOUR POWDER DRY,
JUST IN CASE!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Diamondback68, Yes it doeskind of look like a corroded battery terminal, except you can't just wipe it off. I thought it was from the flux too, but not being all that familiar, I thought I would get a few opinions. It is a definate buildup, that why I called it a bloom.
Stonecove

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Sonecove

One way you can tell is to clean the area thoroughly, alcohol would work, and then take a little bit of distilled water and clean the area real good and then test the water with a pool test kit for PH and see if it comes up acidic.
If there is acid down under the front sight there is probably nothing you can do externally to stop it.
And then again, it could be just rust and you probably can't stop that either if it's originating from below the sight.

P.S. That muzzle has awfully sharp edges almost os if it was cut down from some other barrel length. Could be wrong, hard to tell from pix.

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
JUST IN CASE!

[This message has been edited by diamonback68 (edited 02-22-2004).]

·
Registered
650 Posts
The 1860's all have an unfinished muzzle. Colt Blackpowder is now out of business but you can call Lou Imperato of the Henry Repeeating Arms Company in Brooklyn, New York. He made the Colt Blackpowder series and he may be able to help you. I have dealt with him in the past and he is very helpful to his customers.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Just a thought, I work in the chemical industry (an extemely corrisive one at that) and have seen chemical reactions under jointed metals creep out just like your pic. I agree with Dick as probably the acid used in the flux is most likely the problem. The only solution is to remove the sight, clean both surfaces thoroughly and rejoin. Otherwise it will continue to creep out till it eats it's way completely thru the barrel under the sight.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Amen Majic and it will.

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
JUST IN CASE!

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,888 Posts
Probably solder flux, but also could be bluing "Bloom".

If a firearm isn't carefully treated after bluing, the chemicals can Leach out of cracks and crevices. This looks just like flux leaching.

USUALLY bluing bloom happens fairly soon, but I have seen it happen much later.

In either case you need to take care of it.

Short of attempting to use a deactivation chemical in an ultrasonic cleaner, removing the sight may be the only option.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Guys, Thanks for the input. I took Thiocol's advice and sent a note to Lou Imperato of Henry Repeating Rifles. I understand he has no obligation to make it right(I didn't even ask), but I did ask for his thoughts on how to stop further damage, and who could do the work to fix it. I'll let you know what I hear back from him. Thanks for all of your input.
Regards
Stonecove

1 - 9 of 9 Posts