Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my UPS driver walks in the shop today with a smile ear to ear. Says it's been a long time since he's seen "One of these". He hands me the box below! The seller really wanted to protect my new 1911 rig and went way above and beyond what most everyone ever has. I've received $10k guns wrapped in newspaper and tossed in a flat rate box!

To Share some of the strangest things I've received firearms packaged in:

1. Hardhat
2. Drycleaning Dress Sleeve
3. Socks and Underwear (With a note from the owner stating they were never worn)
4. 5 Gallon Bucket filled with wads of Blue Shop Papertowels.
5. Catfood bag turned inside out.
6. Coffee can wrapped with Red Rosin Paper with grounds still in the bottom of the can but the firearm thankfully was wrapped in a used sock.

Hopefully you guys have received some good stuff yourself or your FFL shared a good story when you picked up your new piece. I would love to hear your stories.

Wood Plywood Wood stain Hardwood Box Wood Box

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It's hard to tell in the photos but the seller not only put 32 screws to hold this box together but he also wrapped the entire box in 2 layers of clear tape. You know, just to be sure!

·
Premium Member
4,687 Posts
I have received several old pistols from one dealer in particular who always ships/packs well and the gun is always in a brand new sock. Heck, I wear the new socks and put the guns in old ones of mine. Saves me a trip to Walmart, although thousands for a single sock can get rather pricey......which reminds me.......I could use some new socks............

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
years ago when I had an ffl I bought a rifle from an out of state guy through an ad in gunlist and he shipped it to me in a homemade wood box that I can best describe as a coffin. he told me that he made it in anticipation of selling his rifle and spent a lot of time making the box to be sure that it would protect the rifle. the box alone probably weighed twice what the rifle did.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
I have received several old pistols from one dealer in particular who always ships/packs well and the gun is always in a brand new sock. Heck, I wear the new socks and put the guns in old ones of mine. Saves me a trip to Walmart, although thousands for a single sock can get rather pricey......which reminds me.......I could use some new socks............
lol :D

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Waiting for Russ to show us his 3-5-7 packed in old torn up ****** tighties.

·
Premium Member
3,406 Posts
None come to mind, I usually always tell them to make sure it is packaged good. One which does come to mind is I remember my good friend and FFL (REST IN PEACE BOB!) was he had been wanting another single shot Winchester like the one he had when he was a kid. He found a Mint Specimen on Auction Arms and bought it. I happened to be there at his shop the day it came in and he asked me if I wanted to ride down with him to pick it up. When we got there and saw it, I started complaining and he told me to be quiet :). The guy had laid the gun down on very thin cardboard and folded one little square around it and put a couple pieces of tape on it. The barrel was sticking out the end when we picked it up. No packing, no protection, no nothing but one thin layer of something which was somewhere between paper and cardboard. We got back to the shop and I was surprised how good of condition it was still in. It only had a couple small marks on it and one on the barrel where it was sticking out. I told him the thing had to have been brand new before shipping and wanted him to complain to the seller, but Good Ol' Bob wouldn't. He said he wanted it to shoot and didn't care. He left him positive feedback right there. Sad thing is I don't even know if he ever got to shoot it because unfortunately it wasn't long after that was that day which I will never forget:(...

·
Premium Member
7,961 Posts
I'm impressed with the wooden crate. Hopefully, and I feel sure he did, pack the gun as carefully on the inside as to not beat itself against the inside of the box. I received an approximate 10 pound motor drive assembly for medical equipment last week that was shipped in a cardboard crate with insides reinforced with wood slates. Only problem is the motor has plenty of room to move and not secured inside. Housing was cracked where it beat itself against the sides and its metal cover not secured either. I ordered two at the same time because I have been to the Rodeo and seen the clowns that ship my parts. 2nd part was packed the same way but motor survived but was roughed up too. Took plenty of photos to get this remedied, but bottom line.. I've seen guns packed the same way. If they can't throw the box and not damage the gun, it's risky on the packaging. Seen and heard of a few guns shipped in their wooden display cases...with the glass lids. None arrived pretty. Marc's guy had the old samsonite gorilla commercial in mind when he built that package !!

·
Premium Member
7,961 Posts
I was just imagining Keystone's gun box there , finely taped and sealed and washing up on deserted island where the lone castaway un-boxes the finest looking Python with no bullets and no one to show it to.. Can't shoot it, can't show it off. The ultimate hell. He boxes it back up, puts the tape back on it and tosses it back in.

·
Premium Member
9,737 Posts
While I have received a rifle in a beautifully-crafted wood shipping crate that I kept because it was just too pretty to throw away or destroy, it is the worst packing jobs that are most memorable. A few times in the past, I have received a package where a gun is put in a mint original box with NO padding of any kind. By the time the package gets to me, the gun has banged around inside the box enough to badly damage the box and put significant wear on the gun.

I used to worry about offending a seller by suggesting how to pack a firearm, but now I detail how I want the gun packed. It usually works - usually. (I am convinced there are good and bad packing genes!)

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
A reproduction WALKER I won on Gunbroker a few years ago, arrived with the entire Barrel sticking out of the Cardboard Box, all the way to the Cylinder/Trigger Guard, which likely would have punched it's way out soon enough too.

Mailman did not say a peep...just handed the Box to me along with my other Mail that day.

Seller had simply put the Revolver in-a-Box, no Bubble Wrap around the Muzzle, no crumpled News Paper, no nuthin'...Lol...

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've had several shipments with no packaging. I purchased two shotguns from a auction house who put them in a box with no packaging allowing them to beat together for 900 miles. When I called and complained they offered me free shipping on my next order. I explained there wouldn't be another.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
One time, I recieved something cunningly wrapped in the egg-crate foam that the guy's CMP M1 Rifle was shipped in.

He wanted the foam back...

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
It wasn't a gun, but I received a nice vintage Lawrence holster mailed in a Banquet frozen fried chicken box. The holster was well wrapped in newspaper but the flimsy box obviously took a lot of abuse during the journey. I hate it when I receive something like a holster that reeks of old tobacco smoke, good thing a good cleaning with saddle soap got the chicken smell out of that one too.

·
Premium Member
4,687 Posts
A lot of times you'll get items wrapped in newpapers. Not guns, nescessarily, but I get a lot of ebay stuff this way. I rather like it, because I read the papers and it makes me feel like I'm on vacation.

·
Premium Member
7,961 Posts
It wasn't a gun, but I received a nice vintage Lawrence holster mailed in a Banquet frozen fried chicken box. The holster was well wrapped in newspaper but the flimsy box obviously took a lot of abuse during the journey. I hate it when I receive something like a holster that reeks of old tobacco smoke, good thing a good cleaning with saddle soap got the chicken smell out of that one too.
He dog probably follows you close when you wear that holster! Chewy and smelled like chicken. Expensive chew toy

·
Premium Member
7,961 Posts
I've had several shipments with no packaging. I purchased two shotguns from a auction house who put them in a box with no packaging allowing them to beat together for 900 miles. When I called and complained they offered me free shipping on my next order. I explained there wouldn't be another.
We would all think an auction house could ship guns correctly and probably separate too.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts