Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I want to run this idea for the classified section by you guys who buy and sell in the classifieds and if favorable I will propose this to adminstration/Guy if not I will ditch my idea. I buy guns in the classifieds time to time. I personally would like to see it mandated the seller specify his or her terms when selling a gun in the classifieds as to if the item being offered for sale comes with standard three day no fire-no disasemble inspection or is the firearm being sold AS IS-NO REFUND. I am not asking anyone to change the way they sell a gun, but to clarify for potential buyers the grounds an item is being sold. I feel its the sellers business to sell an item anyway he or she sees fit either AS IS or with inspection. Once again, I am not asking anyone to change one thing about the way they sell their product. I personally think it would be benificial to the integrity of the classified section to ask a seller to clarify his terms just as it is manadated every item for sale has a price established. Is this a legitimate request ? I think everyone enjoys knowing where they stand before they make a move.

Thank You
John Fugate fugatefirearms.com

·
Registered
182 Posts
Very good idea! I'm all in.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I bet you wish you had a return privledge on that D-Back junker! I would favor the idea. If guns are listed as no return, I will turn up the heat on my questioning.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
John,
I sell guns here and on other forums once in a while. In fact I have sold a couple to you. I have no problem at all listing the terms of the sale more clearly. Any gun that I choose to sell is always open for scrutiny by any potential buyer. I welcome it, and actually expect any buyer to be careful how he/she spends their hard earned dead presidents. I support the idea, of the "non-fire inspection period". If a seller has nothing to hide, there should not be a problem with stating that there is an inspection period in the terms of the sale.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
John,
I bieleve your idea is sound. Simply a requirement that along with a posted price, a declaration of terms concerning conditions of the sale. I believe it would clear up some misunderstandings. I do not believe however' the administrators should have any responcibility to insure the conditions are honored, they are after all not the WTS police. It still comes down to being honorable in our dealings with one another.
Mike

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
John,
I bieleve your idea is sound. Simply a requirement that along with a posted price, a declaration of terms concerning conditions of the sale. I believe it would clear up some misunderstandings. I do not believe however' the administrators should have any responcibility to insure the conditions are honored, they are after all not the WTS police. It still comes down to being honorable in our dealings with one another.
Mike
Mike,
Exactly, I realize to mods should have no responsibility monitoring if people hold up to their honor. People are going to do what they are going to do. The classifieds still come down to somewhat an honor system. I would just like to see this info mandated in the add for the sake of clearing up potential misunderstandings before they starts. Its just being proactive and upfront with each other. Why assume anything and why do we have to ask ? Lets make things upfront and clear. If I make a decision to buy a gun thats listed AS IS thats my choice. I control my own destiny and have no one to blame in the event an AS IS listed gun is not up to par with my standards or I feel the gun was overated. I knew going in where my recourse stands. People sell guns under their own conditions, I just want to know their rules. Sometimes its no fun learning their conditions after the fact. Why should we assume ? Lets take the guess work out of it.

John

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
I'm for it and agree with others that each and everyone should do there own questioning before any purchase,funds come harder these days

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Good idea John I'll hang with you on that.D*

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
#1 you should have posted this in the lounge as i think it would reach a wider audience.
(maybe mitch can move it)

#2 i see no problem with and agree with your proposal. it would help cut down misunderstandings and misrepresentations of items being sold. afterall, it's unfortunate that although they are few, there are some scammers among the members here.

·
Registered
8,057 Posts
Just How do you propose the enforceabilty of such measures? Many times an ad will run days before Mitch can address it because of his schedule.

Though the intent of the suggestion is honorable and could be included, I see it as a PITA for the Moderation Staff.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Just How do you propose the enforceabilty of such measures? Many times an ad will run days before Mitch can address it because of his schedule.

Though the intent of the suggestion is honorable and could be included, I see it as a PITA for the Moderation Staff.
Just as they are enforced now . If the mods catch an add without a price or without terms or if the poster has less than the minmal post,, they delete the post or ask the poster to confirm to the rules. If it takes a few days before a violation is noticed by the mods, thats ok. They can only do what they can do. I am not asking for a miracle or to make things complicated for anyone. I think this policy would make matters less complicated. It would definately add to the integrity of the classified section. I am also not looking to add work for the mods. This is proposed for everyones benefit. Its ultimately up to admin. I am just making suggestions to what I see would improve the community. Lets see what the majority has to offer on this suggestion before we approach admin. I am one for less rules, but in my heart this is a valid proposition.

John

·
Registered
12,847 Posts
Interested Forum members can always ask about those details anyway, in the Ad's Thread...so that the replys from the Seller are then stated in the Thread, if not in the opening post.

So, it is easily something we can do, just by asking the Seller in the Thread what their terms are.

Good idea!!!

I am one of those who are always asking "How's the Timing and Lock-up? How's the Bore?" when Sellers forget or neglect to say.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Interested Forum members can always ask about those details anyway, in the Ad's Thread...so that the replys from the Seller are then stated in the Thread, if not in the opening post.

So, it is easily something we can do, just by asking the Seller in the Thread what their terms are.

Good idea!!!

I am one of those who are always asking "How's the Timing and Lock-up? How's the Bore?" when Sellers forget or neglect to say.
I am just trying to cut back on having to ask and banter, thats all. How many times do you ask a seller a question and get a private vague answer or no reply at all or the gun gets sold before your question gets answered ? I understand asking questions about timing lock up and bore, blueing, wear etc thats perfectly fine. But I want to know up front before I ask one single question about the gun for sale, "Is this gun being sold AS IS or with an Inpsection period ?" I may not want to pursue a 1943 WW2 1911 under "As is terms" no matter how good the pictures look or how low the price is. On the other hand I may not care to pay an extra 200.00 dollars for a 1960 98% boxed Colt Python if the seller is offering 3 day inspection.

"A sellers terms impacts what I pay for a gun or even if I pursue the item at all. I want to know what I am getting into. You have heard the phrase you should have read the fine print before you signed up, if the fine print is not present everthing is subject to interpretation/imagination.

John

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
If any mod reads this thread who can move this thread to the lounge please do. My mistake starting this in the revolver section. Thank you Ace for your suggestion.

John

·
Premium Member
3,487 Posts
I'm with John. Good Idea...

·
Registered
512 Posts
Since I don't hold an FFL,any modern gun I sell is shipped thru a dealer (fee involved)and is registered at the buyer's end (fee involved).If he decides to return it after three days,it now gets returned to my dealer from his dealer (fee involved) and I have to pick it up (fee involved) and have it registered to me (fee involved). If I bought it thru a FTF originally and then sold it sometime in the future,here or on an auction site AS IS,there is no risk of additional charges or additional paperwork trail.I have no problem answering questions on an item,but,if I sell an item,I don't want it back.If I'm selling an antique firearm,I offer a return policy,but my experience has been,they don't want to return the gun,they just want to finagle a better price after receiving it.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts