Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
23K0LMT.jpg
Topic has been beat to death probably, but nevertheless ideas and suggestions welcome.
Bought it the other day haven't got to shoot it yet. New owner (python) as well, so anything I should lookout for?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,091 Posts
There really isn't a propellent which would cause "rust" in the barrel. My best guess is it's lead. Scrub the hell off of it with a brass brush and a little gun oil. If that doesn't work who cares? Shoot a couple jacketed bullets out of it and that clean up the inerds.

·
Premium Member
3,847 Posts
There really isn't a propellent which would cause "rust" in the barrel. My best guess is it's lead. Scrub the hell off of it with a brass brush and a little gun oil. If that doesn't work who cares? Shoot a couple jacketed bullets out of it and that clean up the inerds.
Smokeless powder is coated, often with graphite, so that it will flow through powder measures without hangup. So unless the gun itself has external rust, there is little reason to think that this is internal rust. A bronze brush back and forth twice followed by a dry patch will reveal if it is rust or lead. If lead, then as you say! If rust or lead, then some Big 45 Rust remover wrapped around a bronze brush will do the trick.

KleenBore also sells lead wipe away patches, and this is an easy way of getting most, if not all of the lead out of the bore. Personally, I would use the Big45 first and follow up with the KleenBore patches.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, it has a little rust on the outside. But, i'd describe it as a haze that looks like you could wipe it off with your finger. I'll post pictures of it. Got it for $600, I think it's a good buy. Made in 1975.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
They sell Montana X-Treme cowboy blend lead and powder solvent remover. I mix this with Hoppe's 9 and soak the barrel for a day then come back and run a brush through it and see what happens. I think that will clean up nicely. Shoot jacketed rounds through it as well.

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
After trying other methods & still not satisfied put kroil on a bore brush & swab it back & forth, let stand couple hours wet with kroil. Push a dry patch thru. If it is rust, it can take 4 maybe 6 cycles before the patches come out clean ------>

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
After trying other methods & still not satisfied put kroil on a bore brush & swab it back & forth, let stand couple hours wet with kroil. Push a dry patch thru. If it is rust, it can take 4 maybe 6 cycles before the patches come out clean ------>
RHMC24 does kroil neutralize rust? Some one had mentioned something on another thread about a chemical that neutralizes rust. I forgot what it was but if anyone recalls what it was I would love to know so I can write it down. Thanks for the help in advance.

·
Registered
10,180 Posts
If it is rust, not sure how it can be neutralized . Remember that the bluing is also a form rust.

A dry patch run back and forth a few time will reveal whether it is lead or rust. If rust they make a stainless steel bore brush for removing rust from bores.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Kroil and JB's bore cleaning paste. Wet the bore with kroil and then, using a brass 357 jag, run a patch wet with kroil and JB's paste back and forth for 50 or so strokes. Clean it out with another patch of kroil or whatever solvent you like. It may take a couple of repetitions but it will clean it out.

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Your picture looks like maybe a stainless steel gun -- http://i.imgur.com/dTs3IDs.jpg -- & may be something other than common rust.

Kroil from what I remember its info when I bought it is it's intended primarily as a penetrant capable of entering one-millionth inch. I have had good results cleaning bores as described, some after using various other bore cleaners & getting a clean patch but bore still not looking good -- I then gave the kroil treatment & at first got a dirty patch & cleaner thereafter till I got a clean patch & bore looked a lot better.

Rust seems to be a granular form that grows from oxygen/iron contact. For that reason I saw a potential of Kroil entering the granular rust & loosening its adherance & in my experience seems to perform that way. I have no evidence of its 'neutralizing' rust & it does not seem to promote rust nor remove blue when I have used it ----->

·
Registered
10,180 Posts
As rhmc24 noted, rust is an iron oxide, and as such is very hard. It takes something like the SS brush to dislodge the rust a particle at the time. JB's works great for removing copper fouling, but isn't abrasive enough to remove rust.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Your picture looks like maybe a stainless steel gun -- http://i.imgur.com/dTs3IDs.jpg -- & may be something other than common rust.
Rust in a stainless barrel would make me very, very suspicious. The reason why I asked about the finish is that I have a Diamondback that I use for grip fitting, it's a burn victim so I have sprayed it with grey primer to keep the rust from rubbing off. That stuff in OP's barrel kinda looks like burn scale, that's why I'm wondering what the finish is.

·
Registered
10,180 Posts
As Olle noted, you would not see scale rust like that on a stainless gun. Don't remember all the details, but stainless steels contain chromium which forms a film on the steel which prevents severe rust/corrosion. The amount of chromium determines the amount of resistance to rust.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Dunno, 1019#E S/N. I wouldn't know what to look for in that regard.

Looks like stainless didn't come until the 80's, so it may be a refinish.
Swing the cylinder out and look in the push rod recess in the underlug. If you see a small "S" stamped in there, you have a stainless gun. This stamp can also appear in other places, like under the extractor star. Also, can you take some pictures in better light? Stainless should look like bare metal, but yours look grey.

Edit: I just looked at the pictures again, and found that the front sight and the pins are also grey. Those should be black, so I'm pretty darn sure that the gun has been sprayed with some kind of paint. If it has been in a fire (like my Diamondback) you better take it back to the seller, as high heat will weaken the steel and make the gun dangerous to shoot.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts