Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my 1953 .22 Combat Masterpiece with a NIB Lawrence model 34HS holster & a Heiser model 718 holster. The Lawrence holster is stamped 526, the 3 digit size code for the 4" Combat Masterpiece. It was ordered unoiled & marked "No Oil" on the end flap. The H in the model number stands for safety strap & the S signifies a sewn in sight protector. The Heiser holster also has a sewn in sight protector & is inked K.4 on the back by the maker. Both holsters are in their original box.The Combat Masterpiece is not new in the box but is a very nice one, serial number K203096. The grips are numbered as well.Enjoy the Sunday afternoon photos.Regards,turnerriver

·
Registered
69 Posts
My two favorites; vintage S&W and leather. I love it when I find the lesser considered brands like Hunter & Red Head especially in floral. I am partial to Eubanks with floral and lacing.Thanks for sharing.
Bob

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
turnerriver,
Why would the holster be ordered "unoiled & marked "No Oil" on the end flap"? Great holsters and S&W too.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lawrence finished their holsters with neatsfoot oil-they had the reputation of being heavy handed with it. Certain holsters such as shoulder holsters and pocket holsters were offered in "natural plain finish" meaning without the neatsfoot oil. Heiser catalogs stated "Heiser sporting goods are all custom hand made from russet, full grain cowhide and are treated with neatsfoot oil, which not only preserves the leather, but also gives a dark reddish-brown color, making same very attractive. Shoulder, suspender and hip pocket holsters-also dress belts-have natural russet leather finish, no oil". Holsters designed to be worn under or with dress clothes were frequently supplied or ordered without oil finish to avoid oil stains on clothing. Whoever ordered the Lawrence holster I showed wanted to make sure it didn't stain their clothes. Regards, turnerriver

1 - 6 of 6 Posts