Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
May I be allowed one more post for the week? I promise - I'll shut up after this - for awhile! Anway, Sunday evenings is the time for me and some of my neighbors who'd like to be out shooting but have to go to work early Monday to flap our jaws and drink Rolling Rock. (I recommend it highly!) Tonight, one of the guys was lamenting the police-demise of the revolver, to which, I agreed. Another guy starts up, to the effect, "How can you be so dumb? Cops are NEVER on the cutting edge of anything. Just because they're using automatics and 9mm's, what's that prove? What kind of cars did they drive when you were a cop?" (To me. Answer: Plmouth/Dodge/Chevrolet V-8's - whatever the lowest bidder was.) He goes, "Yeah. What have they got now? Ford V-8's! Big improvement, huh? It's ALWAYS 1955 or so in Copland!" The guns? Ten years after the army gets the Beretta, they go, too ... and Glocks. Italian and Austrian pistols in American cops' holsters. Damnation. Brought to you by the same people that shot Uncle Harvey in the ass fifty years ago. The fact that the cops use automatics is the best reason I," (he,) "can think of NOT to use one." Not sure what this proves, but I thought some of us would get a kick out the, "logic." (If any. I liked the, "Copland Cars," business, though!)

·
Registered
162 Posts
IMHO & YMMV

Too often the cops that use the guns have little or no input on what is purchased. And all too often, decisions are made that totally defy logic. A good example is the oft note LA Bank Robbery Shootout. Two guys with some body armor hold off a whole herd of cops. The result is that the cops need high capacity handguns and AR type rifles. Huh? The police had open lines of communication and unlimited ammo supple. They fired literally thousands of rounds. And the automatic rifles the bad guys had, killed no one.

The result that should have come through, IMHO, is that every department needs at least one good old boy with a huntin rifle. Hell, even an old surplus Mauser would have changed the whole event. Enen an old Winchester '94 with some 30-30 would have ruined those guys whole day.

No, the police are often under equiped and under trained but it's not the cops fault, it's politicians and desk jockeys that determine what tools the cop on the beat gets and how much training will go with it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I tend to believe the average cop would be well served with a 6 shot revolver. The training and needs assesment would be perfect with the average cops lack of shooting skills. Problem is the occasional situation will occur and the police mentality is to use equipment purchases for the masses in lieu of training.

In my opinion a 6 shot service revolver a 5 or 6 shot backup revolver, .30-30 lever action and 12 gauge pump action should be in every cop car. Politically correct and capable of handling any police problem. Give the semi's to the SWAT boys.

This coming from a cop with some years under my belt and a complete love for shooting sports. A rareity in the LE landscape.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm almost 36 years old (october 22)and my first exposure to real hanguns was with semiautos (colt .45 acp pattern guns),however afther the discoveing of tha da revolver I think like you, the average cops and investigators would carry da revolvers.

In my city the majority of the cops wearing uniform carrying as a sidearm midsize kframe .38 spl/.357mag revolvers.

The bank cops (the ones that gard the banks) carried with the handgun galil type rifles, Jezz they would never have to use that rifles but imagine a COP firing this semiauto rifle in 5.56 nato without any acuracy, you get the point?? a lot of civilianns been hit with this COP.

The average COP fires not more of 2 boxes of 50 rds each (handgun) per year in qualification tests and that's all!!!!!

A cop must carry a da revolver with a pump shotgun in the patrol car and if heavy fire is need it thay must be a well trained elite group like the SWAT to deal with haevy gunfire period.

Simply the da revolver rules for COPS period.

Manny

1 - 4 of 4 Posts