Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up this Colt LTW Commander in Super 38 about a week before Christmas. It's one of 600 ordered by Talo with the OD green finished frame. It does not have the Rampant Colt trademark on the slide or frame for some reason. As you can see it has the ring hammer like the older ones. I've seen some with the elongated hammer and the series 70 style thumb safety and the rampant Colt stamped on the slide. It seems Colt is not sticking to one design for this issue or is it a parts issue? I hope to go shooting this Tuesday with the temps reaching into the high 30's. This Colt has a very nice finish IMO and is well fitted. DSCN0678.JPG DSCN0679.JPG

·
Premium Member
7,824 Posts
As we discovered that both our new 38 Supers are missing the Rampant Colt rollmark.. wondering how close the serials are .
I can’t make out your Colts serial even greatly enlarging the photo.
My new Super is serial CU06387E
The current little lingering snow has put me behind with work so I won’t be making it to the range for a while. Let us know how she does !

·
Registered
327 Posts
These TALO Commanders have been observed with the oval hammer and some have the ring hammer. Just as some have the "Pony" and some do not.

Mine has the oval hammer and the "Pony" on the left rear of the slide.

I suspect that it is a matter of what parts are available during the manufacturing run of the Lightweight Commanders.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As we discovered that both our new 38 Supers are missing the Rampant Colt rollmark.. wondering how close the serials are .
I can’t make out your Colts serial even greatly enlarging the photo.
My new Super is serial CU06387E
The current little lingering snow has put me behind with work so I won’t be making it to the range for a while. Let us know how she does !
6307, 80 numbers apart

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Nice Talo keeps doing the 38 Super. I have a 2009 XSE LW Commander in 38 Super. It is in the middle with a 2006 in 45ACP on top and a 2015 in 9mm on the bottom.

I think 2009 was the last year Colt did them in general production. In 2010 I started seeing the first iteration of Talo LW Commanders in 38 Super with the black frame and Silver slide plus a "beavertail" grip safety. The 38 Super is nice in that it has the little bit heavier barrel than the 9mm on the left.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I took the Colt Commander shooting today. I shot Fiocchi 129gr 38 super and Federal 130gr +p. Both shot very well with no problems. I did not take a pic of my targets because there was nothing to brag about, too much shaking today. Good combat accuracy at the 7 yard and 10 yard line. The LWT Commander 38 super is a pleasure too shoot and you can compare it to shooting 9mm from a LWT commander or a Sig for that matter. If I had steady hands today I would have been very pleased and you can bet the gun is more than capable of fine accuracy. Well a so so day at the range is better than nothing. The temp was around 43, heat wave compared to the last week or so of teens to low 20's. Better shooting next time.:p I want to say the size and weight of the Colt is about perfect for a 38 super or 9mm.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts