Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen,
I'm contemplating a switch in my priamry, personal armament. (That really means a new gun to try to out-shoot my sons with and keep for the, "invasion.") The .38 super has captured my fancy but I've never shot one! What can you tell me about it? Over?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,882 Posts
It was popular back in the 1930's with people who hunted dangerous game, and with some police agencies, both because it was a good penetrator.

People figured it would punch through animal's and the bullet-proof vests of the day.

The St Louis PD bought a batch for special-purpose use by their Robbery-Homicide detectives.

The older Super .38 had a reputation of not being all that accurate, and this was apparently due to the way the barrel was set up to headspace.

The current guns headspace differently and accuracy has improved, BUT the Super .38 still is known as a less accurate firearm.

Other than the cartridge, the gun itself is a standard 1911.

As far as cartridge/gun issues, there really don't seem to be any, with no history of battering or short barrel life.

The Super .38 is one of those cartridges that start off as a trendy item for the "in crowd" and then falter.

Unlike most of these rounds, the Super .38 has managed to hang on far longer than most, and periodically goes through revivals, like the current interest in it.

·
Registered
224 Posts
As per another post here-- Here is mine from 1964-- She is stocked in Walrus Ivory.

------------------
An Armed Society Is A
Polite Society

1 - 4 of 4 Posts