Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Serial # 8819xx

Revolver is almost pristine - no scratches or holster wear at all - bluing is solid and smooth - action is as smooth and clean as any other I have seen - lock-up is tight - let off is crisp - not even a trace line on the cylinder! The only visible flaw I can find is a very small amount of surface rust on the left side of the hammer - perhaps 3 dots of approx 1mm each close together. Grips are like new as well. Unfortunately no box or paperwork with this - just the gun itself. Three questions:
1- When was this revolver made?
2- How much would this be worth?
3- Should I shoot it and enjoy it or put it in the safe?
Thanx in advance for any replies!
-H

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Totally cool! After reading the sticky on DOB questions in this forum, I found proofhouse.com and discovered that this revolver was made in 1962 - my birth year!!! This is a like new 51 year-old beautiful Colt!
-H

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
ProofHouse.com will have your answer,you will need to get the serial# off the frame inside of the crane and the crane itself(part that swings the cylinder out) Looks to be 1960's the serial # will get you the exact year it was made. It is a very nice shooter unless it has the original box and only factory fired in my opinion.Standard pressure loads will extend it's life with zero issues,they are as good a revolver as any ever made. $450.00- 550.00

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanx LongRanger! I am very pleased with what I got. Papers and a box would have been a real treat though. I was top bidder at $475 (plus auction house premium, tax, cc fee, etc.) so was pretty close to your top end of $550 OTD. Even so - very pleased with the condition and age of this fine revolver, particularly now that I have learned it's the same age as me (and in much better shape)! Thanx again for the reply and info.
-H

·
Administrator
7,331 Posts
Nice find HW . :cool:

Should you shoot it ? That's up to you . Do you enjoy shooting vintage handguns ? If yes , then why not ... LR gave a nice target load if you reload . You can shoot it some and still retain the finish with careful handling .

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
The tiny spots of rust in the hammer can be removed easily and quickly with some very fine emery/sand paper. I have done that on several revolvers that had a tiny bit of surface rust and discoloration on the hammer.
I'd have to shoot it some myself. That's part of the fun in getting a new gun. WHo knows maybe it will shoot 1 hole groups right where it should. Of course maybe you arent so lucky and it shoots 6" off to the right or left (but I doubt that it will be very far off).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts