Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a Colt Officers Model Target .22 I just received from the Supica/Kull auction.Auction notes said "cylinder turning plum";as shown in the photo.How & why does this happen? This is a transitional early post-war revolver;s/n is 51205.The cylinder latch & trigger are post-war w/ a one line address on the top of the barrel.The revolver is tight as a drum,has an excellent bore w/ very little signs of use,the Coltwood grips even fit-a keeper,in my book.I'd really enjoy seeing a discussion on the plum coloring as I know very little about it.
The Heiser model 456 holster is from my collection & maker etched "OM6" on the back.
Regards,
John Witty

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
john, belive there is a prior discussion on the plum coloring. high nickle content in the steel will produce it, as will incorrect temp in blueing tanks.nice gun and holster /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
John, you see plum colored parts crop up quite often on Rugers, especially the single sixes.
No expert here, but I am told it usually happens from not properly controlling the bluing tank temperatures. It is strictly a cosmetic thing and I don't think it takes away from the value of the piece.
Others will chime in here.
Enjoy your new gun. Nice piece.

·
Registered
323 Posts
John,
I do know that it happened with Rugers due primarily to the silicone content of the steel, and the resultant reaction of bluing salts.
My suspicion is that it's a GOOD thing, as the strongest heat-treated parts tend to 'plum'.
My metallurgist buddy tells me it's purely cosmetic, as several forum members have stated.
Great-looking gun, and you can trust most anything Jim Supica's involved with.
Don

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
John Witty, you dirty rotten scoundrel, now you've gone and done it!(only kidding). I was just trying to pass this off just another discussion about the "plumming" of some parts. Then I kept coming back to that picture of that beautiful OMT .22LR of yours. <font color="red">Now I want one!</font> Oh well, now the quest begins. Thanks anyway, dern ya.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts