Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of us have seen some Python stocks refurbished by Mr. Clark, and I have two more sets he fixed for me. Usually the pictures are just the "afters" but I have pictures of "befores" also.

The first set had chips out of both, right at the toe, a little better than a quarter inch missing and ragged plus no medallions.
Installing the medallions I guess doesn't require the greatest of skills;as long as you have some, but replacing a lost hunk of walnut now; that's a skill-set most of don't have.

Buncha Python grips 019.JPG ** Swamprat and 1911 spec sheets 019.JPG **

Buncha Python grips 020.JPG ** Swamprat and 1911 spec sheets 024.JPG

I am well pleased with this set as well as the next.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The next set I bought from a parts box many years ago and sanded them smooth. No big deal back when they were five dollar take-offs..Little different these days.

These are Gen 3 and I sanded only enough to remove the checkering, leaving intact the raised area of the checkered part.
The grips actually felt very good when I was shooting four to five times a week and I liked them smooth.

Buncha Python grips 070.JPG ** Swamprat and 1911 spec sheets 009.JPG

Buncha Python grips 075.JPG ** Swamprat and 1911 spec sheets 010.JPG

I had thought Mr Clark only worked on Python grips but that is not the case. In reply to a question, he said he works on all frame size Colt's grips along with other brands.

·
Registered
9,326 Posts
That is just amazing. I sanded down some $5 flea market Python grips years ago but removed the raised area. Good thing you left it on.And thanks for letting me know the chips in these cut down K frame grips are repairable. What a great job Hugh did on those. Here's the cut down N frame coke grips Hugh fixed for me. Thanks to you showing these, I might have to talk to him about working on the K frames, too.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
ponyup, thank you so much for those photos! I sent a set of grips with chipped toes for my 1957 Python to Swamprat a few months ago and I'm awaiting their return. Yours are beautifully repaired! Can't wait to see mine.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is just amazing. I sanded down some $5 flea market Python grips years ago but removed the raised area. Good thing you left it on.And thanks for letting me know the chips in these cut down K frame grips are repairable. What a great job Hugh did on those. Here's the cut down N frame coke grips Hugh fixed for me. Thanks to you showing these, I might have to talk to him about working on the K frames, too.

Wyatt I am a big fan of those cut down N frames. I'm glad you could see what they could become with a little attention. They seem made for that 3 1/2 " Mdl. 27

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ponyup, thank you so much for those photos! I sent a set of grips with chipped toes for my 1957 Python to Swamprat a few months ago and I'm awaiting their return. Yours are beautifully repaired! Can't wait to see mine.
The gentleman quoted me in days , not weeks, months and approximates, which is unusual in these times; and behold,.. ! to the day, he sent me a tracking number of the return. :D

·
Registered
9,326 Posts
Wyatt I am a big fan of those cut down N frames. I'm glad you could see what they could become with a little attention. They seem made for that 3 1/2 " Mdl. 27
If I ever come across a 2" S&W Model 15, I'll have to have a talk with Hugh about fixing those K chipped frames. These chopped grips only look good on short guns.

·
Registered
10,852 Posts
Put them on eBay...someone will buy them.

Reactions: ei8ht and ponyup

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Hugh Clark, our own Coltforum's Swamprat, is extremely talented, and a really nice guy as well.

Hugh has repaired to like-new two sets of stocks for me, and I could not be more pleased with his work.

Hugh has received some well deserved national acclaim, IIRC in the American Rifleman (I may have the gun publication wrong).

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
how recent was this work done by him ?
***??? If you are referring to the original sets of grips that began this thread they were in December of this past year; 2017. I believe the pictures have imprinted dates in red from a day or two after I received them.

If you are asking about the set of Diamondbacks, (??:D??), pictured just prior to your post, then swamprat had nothing to do with them. They were in fact modified by one of the worlds all time great gun-grip-hackers known far and wide as "BUBBA".

As an afterthought, which is where my best "20-20" occurs, I did a disservice to the gentleman, (swamprat), to even picture that abomination and mention his name in the same post. Sorry.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
:pThat's not a challenge...those are firewood!:eek:
*** Hah. Agreed. They gonna need a little more than a slathering of "Tru-Oil".
I want to vow and declare here and now I had nothing to do with what happened to those. :D
They came in a shoe-box of stuff I bought from an old closed gun shop. Got some purty gold plated trigger shoes too.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts