Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our member TRUMAN has a pair of clear 1911 WWII "sweetheart grips" for sale here. I am curious as to what these are but didn't want to post a disallowed question over there. Can anyone shed some light on these? Truman?

·
Registered
364 Posts
grips

G.I.'s would take a clear piece of plastic and add a picture of there sweetheart under it and make a set of grips..i have heard this called trench art before..

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Guys. I had never heard of them before. Another cool tidbit of WWII history learned. I especially like the pictures.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I saw a pistol that came from a guy who was from Tennessee, had a picture of his sister in the grips.
I suppose if one goes far enough back into the mountains, the line between siblings and sweethearts becomes blurred. But I was delighted to see someone pointed out the old gun show story that such grips were made from plexiglass taken from NAZI planes...*laff*...although I'd bet more than a few of these grips were turned out by bored air corps ground crew with access to a supply of plexiglass.

·
Registered
84 Posts
In Desert Storm, we made jewelry out of dental wire and sea shells. Boredom will do that to you. Very cool example of "trench art"!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts