Colt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok call me crazy but I have a shooter grade Python that I want to install a 2 1/2 barrel. I am also planning on sending the gun to Fords for refinishing. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
4,436 Posts
'Shooter grade' is open to all options. You want a HQ snubbie, you got it. According to various threads, Ford's is like running water - hot and cold.

Reactions: ponyup

·
Premium Member
2,029 Posts
Make the gun the way YOU want it, and then use it. Period. I’ve customized everything from New Services to Pythons. Many cringe, but they are done to my taste and I USE them. What else matters? If all people bitch about at my funeral is that I rebarelled a few Colts, so be it. I think most guys at my funeral will be angling for those guns anyways

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I love this Python this was my first Python, but have always wanted a smaller barrel. I just won an ebay auction on a 2 1/2 barrel. I plan on shooting this on a monthly basis and the gun will sit next to my bed in speed vault. I only have 1900 invested in the gun and the barrel so far. Maybe I should post before and after pictures?

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
I love this Python this was my first Python, but have always wanted a smaller barrel. I just won an ebay auction on a 2 1/2 barrel. I plan on shooting this on a monthly basis and the gun will sit next to my bed in speed vault. I only have 1900 invested in the gun and the barrel so far. Maybe I should post before and after pictures?
Sucks it was your first Python, because I would also recommend selling it and buying what you want. Save the barrel, work, and refinish costs. I have seen snub Pythons selling in the low $2Ks lately. So the money you spend to convert your existing Python is just paying money to take away value in my opinion.

As said, your money your decision though. You got some good advice from both sides.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Unless you're going to carry it I'd keep it as is. You mention that you plan to shooting it monthly. Does the current barrel keep you from shooting it? I'd guess the longer barrel will be better for shooting.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,615 Posts
Other issues aside.......

For rebarreling work the forum strongly recommends sending it to Frank Glenn.
Unlike most gunsmiths today, Glenn has the correct tooling needed to do the job right, and does the work to Colt factory standards.
Using any local gunsmith is a straight crap shoot since few of them will REALLY have the correct tools or even know exactly how to do the job.
There's far more to a correct rebarrel job then just screwing a barrel on.
This is sort of like needing a heart transplant and going to a general practitioner to have it done.

With Glenn you'll KNOW that it'll be done right. His prices and turnaround are excellent, and his reputation among forum members that have used him is top rated.

Frank Glenn-Glenn Custom Complete Gunsmithing Service Glendale AZ

For a Colt Royal Blue job you have to be VERY careful.
When last I heard, several members had sent Pythons to Ford's for refinish and to have faded roll marks redone.
These members got guns back that were ruined beyond any possibility of correction.
Ford's USED to have a great rep for a "wet look" Royal Blue refinish, but until further reports I won't recommend using them for reblue work, especially on a Python.

For a Royal Blue there are several sources....

Ron's is a top restoration service.

https://www.ronsgunshop.com/

Glenrock is a top trade shop offering work to the industry and are used by many custom gunsmiths.
They offer a high polish blue.

Glenrock Blue

"The Custom Shop" is NOT related to the Colt Custom Shop, but apparently Colt does recommend them for Python refinish work.
Some members have questions about them, but if Colt recommends them I take Colt's word on it.
Their web site pictures do look good.

https://www.customshopinc.com/

Note that when judging whether a refinish is any good, the trick is to look UNDER the dark blue and look at the metal itself.
A poor job will be reflected in over polished, rounded, and blurred sharp edges, ripples in the flats, stamps faded out, and general over polishing of all surfaces and edges.
Unfortunately, by the time you realize the gun is botched, it's too late, the damage has already been done, and usually can't be corrected.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
For the money you have in it, by all means, swap out the barrel and see how it runs..........
.......Or peddle it and secure the snubnose you really want........
You have options.
Do what makes you happy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for the advice. I want a snub nosed because a 4 inch barrel won’t fit in my speed safe. I have another 4” that will never get shot and a shooter stainless 4 inch. I plan on refinishing to my likings and have some new “Colt Authorised grips installed.

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
As everyone has said do what you want, but I would just buy a bigger speed safe, a lot less money and you still have your original Python all original.

Craig

·
Premium Member
6,102 Posts
Go for it. I have an early-mid 80’s 2 1/2” python that is mint in the box. It was factory installed with target stocks. I came across this from a friend’s brother for 2K. I was going to flip it and it maybe had one box of 38 shot through it. Never ever thought I would want or have a need for a python with a 2 1/2” barrel. Then I shot it, dang, it shot that well and feels even better. Now it’s my monthly CC match gun of which I win it every time I show up with that gun. I even started the rumor of my own “mulligan” by saying I am cheating using a gun so good for a cc match. It’s all fun and the gun is that friggen good.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Since it is a shooter grade I see no down side as long as your realize it will not gain any value despite the expenditure for bluing, stocks, barrel, and labor. I have rebarreled a colt revolver with good results for similar reasons. I used Frank Glenn as gunsmith and was happy. You might re gain a few dollars selling the barrel that was removed.

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
I would do it also. In fact I have the same set up. I have the snubby barrel and 4in Python and I'm planning the same thing. The Python was a Service gun and has quite a bit of holster wear. Although I am thinking of some engraving and maybe some brushed nickel finish. This is just something for my own personal use and pleasure.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts