Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My LGS has a used Tactical Officer's Lightweight for sale. I think the SN is TOL 420. They are asking $1099 for the pistol. When were they made and what do they usually sell for. I really like the looks of that model. Also, I assume the total production is not very high. Correct?

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
i have a nib one, ser# in the 200s. i originally thought there were about 350 made but I've heard of some in the 600 ser # range so although definitely a limited production i don't know exactly how many were made. (maybe 650-750) from what I've been able to research, they might have been made for the texas location of rsr distributors around 1997 but i don't know how accurate that info is. anyway i think 1099 is a great deal, I say buy it!

check this link..
[SOLD] Colt RARE Tactical Officer?s Lightweight 45 ACP

the one in that link is different from mine and looks to be a more recent second production run for another distributor, talo maybe?

·
Premium Member
21,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ace: Thanks for the info. The one pictured has different grips than the one I am considering. Maybe yours has different grips, also. The grips are walnut but smooth with a Colt Medallion in/near the center. The grips are quite unusual for 1911 types, but they appear to be correct. I hope you can comment on the grips on your gun.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Colt Tactical Officer's Lightweight

My LGS has a used Tactical Officer's Lightweight for sale. I think the SN is TOL 420. They are asking $1099 for the pistol. When were they made and what do they usually sell for. I really like the looks of that model. Also, I assume the total production is not very high. Correct?
I have one of these with a serial number below 200. To the best of my recollection all of the information from Ace's post is correct. I bought mine in Austin, TX, shortly after George Bush became governor and helped push through concealed carry in 1995. I probably bought the gun in 1997. The gun shop said that it was from a run of pistols made especially for the Texas distributor RSR and if I remember right it was a run of 300 guns eventually followed by another run of 300 - the pistols were apparently very popular. Mine has a Colt Commander-sized aluminum frame and a lightweight stainless steel Officer's ACP slide. It came in a blue plastic box with three 8-round magazines all marked "Colt" but bearing the shooting star on their flat metal followers that probably means they came from Chip McCormick or at least were modified to hold 8 rounds with a McCormick kit. My pistol came with beautiful checkered walnut stocks bearing the Colt medallion.

Hopefully, all of the guns did not perform like mine right out of the box. That was Colt's worst time period for quality control and when I got the pistol it wouldn't even feed ball ammo reliably. I took it to a local gunsmith who specialized in 1911s and when I got it back it would feed anything and ran like a clock. He replaced the sometimes-troublesome recoil spring plug with a two-piece, full-length guide rod setup, shaped and polished the feed ramp and finally added a memory bump to the factory paddle-shaped grip safety. I later added Crimson Trace laser grips and it became my main carry gun. It still is.

Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Starting pistol

(I must be doing something wrong - I joined Photobucket, moved a larger picture there and followed the directions given in the forum's sticky message section on posting photos and I still get just a thumbnail that you have to click on to see the larger image...)

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, AJ. And a nice, thoroughly detailed thread on the TOL. I got in the Officers .45 ACP business over 20 years ago and I never knew this model even existed until tonite.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
the grips in that link look like rosewood but like I said that's a different/later production run. my grips look like those but I believe are cocobolo, checkered double diamond with a gold medallion. i'll bet aj's are the same.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This model is rare

Welcome to the Forum, AJ. And a nice, thoroughly detailed thread on the TOL. I got in the Officers .45 ACP business over 20 years ago and I never knew this model even existed until tonite.
Thanks for the welcome - I joined the forum today after a Google search on this gun led me here. I'm not surprised you didn't know about them - I have never seen one listed in the "gun values" books and I haven't seen one for sale in a gun shop since I bought mine.

Most people looking for a carry gun find that a long grip is harder to conceal than a long barrel and slide and would prefer a gun made with an Officer's ACP frame and a Commander or Government Model top end. I'm just the opposite - I don't like guns that offer only a two-fingered grip. I find them hard to control and just generally difficult to shoot accurately. I have no problem concealing a full sized 1911 grip but I find that a longer slide and barrel dig into my side while sitting, especially while driving. This gun was just perfect for me once the gunsmith got it running right. It has the full-sized grip and a barrel short enough not to dig in but long enough to shoot well. I'm probably the only person who thinks this way...:)

Here it is with two non-factory magazines and the original grips. Sorry about the small photo - I'm still learning my way around the forum.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ace and AJ1911: Thanks to both of you for your excellent descriptions and advice. Of course, the pictures are always of great help. I will probablgo back to my LGS tomorrow and check out the TOL once more and make a decision on whether or not to buy.
AJ1911: The gun comes with 2 magazines. I will be sure to check to see if it has the 8-round mags like you described. I have a couple extra of those that I picked up at local gun shows.
I could not ask for better help.
Also, AJ1911: Welcome to the Forum. I know you will enjoy it. We will enjoy your inputs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a Colt Officers model 1911 enhanced in stainless steel. It's my backup gun at work and off duty gun..VERY accurate. I changede the magwell, trigger and spring but of course I kept the parts!!!

Here's the before and after photographs

1 - 9 of 9 Posts