Colt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Looks like an honest gun with a possibly cut down barrel. I can see no address on the top. It is an antique 44-40. Should the ejector knob be a bullseye? Not a bad gun just well used. At 2082 it is in the ballpark. 1500 may be considered low.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Honestly, not many out there like that any more. People have been obsessed with making them "prettier" for years, decades, heck a century now. How many this way or worse have been polished, nickeled, grips changed, parts changed, or full restored. That's an honest gun that has been USED with the same care as an old wooden handled screwdriver you might see in a shed.

·
Premium Member
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like an honest gun with a possibly cut down barrel. I can see no address on the top. It is an antique 44-40. Should the ejector knob be a bullseye? Not a bad gun just well used. At 2082 it is in the ballpark. 1500 may be considered low.
Civilian guns of that time frame came both ways

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
An all matching 5 number 4 3/4" 44-40 is a hard example to find. Only produced over a year or two as I recall. If this gun meets that criteria, I would think it would be a welcome addition to a collector at that price.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I have a 45 that year and it does not have a bulls eye ejector knob. I had it critiqued here on the forum and was told it could go either way during that period.
Dennis

·
Registered
414 Posts
It was the original lint in the barrel and cylinders that drove the price up.... that stuff is priceless.....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts