Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My LGS just acquired one of the Talo Last Cowboy SAA's. It is for sale at just under $1700. The case coloring was definitely not done for them at Colt. It has a much different appearance like a chemical treatment.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I sent a message to Talo about making an order of acid etched Colt Frontier Six Shooters, among many other things we would all like to see. I tried to stress that the more historic and traditional the better, including real bone charcoal color case hardening like Turnbull and other businesses do. This was several weeks ago, and I haven't heard anything back, so I wonder if they even saw it. I might have to try and call them. Honestly, if Uberti would do real color case hardening I would be way more interested in their products. The chemical stuff just looks awful to me! Its one thing to see that kind of finish on a clone, but on a Colt? I don't know, I just don't care for it. But, I hope they sell well so that Talo keeps ordering them from Colt!

·
Premium Member
5,800 Posts
I sent a message to Talo about making an order of acid etched Colt Frontier Six Shooters, among many other things we would all like to see. I tried to stress that the more historic and traditional the better, including real bone charcoal color case hardening like Turnbull and other businesses do. This was several weeks ago, and I haven't heard anything back, so I wonder if they even saw it. I might have to try and call them. Honestly, if Uberti would do real color case hardening I would be way more interested in their products. The chemical stuff just looks awful to me! Its one thing to see that kind of finish on a clone, but on a Colt? I don't know, I just don't care for it. But, I hope they sell well so that Talo keeps ordering them from Colt!
They also have a Facebook page. I sent them a message through FB and received a prompt reply.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Saintclair,

Were you able to handle that Colt or be able to comment much on fit & finish of it's various parts-to-frame, or it's guts & internals; (what's the action like on them vs. a "current" run of the mill SAA?) Is there any significant difference?

Considering the recognition-format Talo went with on that run; being a testament to today's cattlemen, ranchers and "Last Cowboy's" (plus; to me) the fact that I-myself fall into that category and profession, I'm pretty seriously debating to get an order on one. It's a rather rare type of thing they put together and even rarer that a guys living it, if ya get my drift... I'll never have collections as big as you fellas nor be able to afford every commemorative they'll do, but this one kind of hits home.

I wouldn't mind one

·
Premium Member
20,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Saintclair,

Were you able to handle that Colt or be able to comment much on fit & finish of it's various parts-to-frame, or it's guts & internals; (what's the action like on them vs. a "current" run of the mill SAA?) Is there any significant difference?

Considering the recognition-format Talo went with on that run; being a testament to today's cattlemen, ranchers and "Last Cowboy's" (plus; to me) the fact that I-myself fall into that category and profession, I'm pretty seriously debating to get an order on one. It's a rather rare type of thing they put together and even rarer that a guys living it, if ya get my drift... I'll never have collections as big as you fellas nor be able to afford every commemorative they'll do, but this one kind of hits home.

I wouldn't mind one
I did pick it up and look it over. The fit was very good, but the finish was not Colt's on any of the parts. It appears Talo buys SAA's from Colt that are still, "In the White" and has the various additions (like gold bands and figures) made followed by having the entire guns finished on contract (I suspect).

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I got a chance to handle a Last Cowboy and I concur the case colors were substandard for Colt, I've seen more attractive case colors on a Ruger and we all know they chemically do their case colors (excluding of course the Turnbull Blackhawks). That said my latest SAA with a tag date of 26 Oct 17 has great case colors on the left side of the frame and somewhat muddled colors on the right. But I just chalk that up to no 2 frames come out of the case hardening process identical. I agree that the Last Cowboy SAAs are most likely finished outside the factory.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts