Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased one of these models today and will pick it up next week. Any input any forum member can provide would be appreciated on this edition. I am curious about the match barrel and would that be different than the barrel I have in my Special Combat Government model

·
Registered
774 Posts
IMHO, about the best factory production 1911 out there and the most bang for your buck, before you start getting into the Baer's, Brown's, and Wilson's

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
"Everything you need and nothing you don't"

Well, maybe loose the thin grips depending on your hand size.....

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback. Do you know if these were a limited production. I imagine so since it isn't a standard Colt item but really am not sure

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
They are a limited production...like most Talo's offerings..I don't know how limited this one actually is.

·
Registered
45 Posts
If you could only have one 1911 with the best and most useful features and specs ever devised for the 1911. This may well be THE gun. Some may say thats bold talk. I say it fits the bill. "Everything you need, nothing you don't". I love mine, Its accurate, its reliable. Its perfect right out of the box. You bought a fine 1911 sir. Congratulations.
The Government Model is also a fine piece.

·
Premium Member
7,961 Posts
My local gun shop has recommended to me to buy it. He knows 1911's and knows I collect Colt also. He says it's a good one on the series 70 frame. Too many other gun purchases kept me from it, so I never found out.

·
Administrator
7,330 Posts
I've always been a fan of the gold/brass bead front sight with plain black rear . :cool:

·
Administrator
7,330 Posts
Don't feel like you "settled" , the XSE is ready to go :cool:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am looking forward to picking it up tomorrow. Thanks for the feedback. I know I got a great price on it and it will be a nice addition to the Special Combat Government I picked up last month.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Congrats!!!!

This will hold you over until tomorrow :)

If you decide you don't like the stock thin grips...I would suggest you replace the original bushings as the stock bushings will not accommodate regular grips, even with new longer screws. The stock bushings and the stock thin grips on the WC Gov are slightly different from other thin grip combinations that I have encountered in the past.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Mr. Wiley Clapp designed this pistol, it's to his specs.
That's really all you need to know...

As others have mentioned, and IMHO, it's one of the best thought-out, and designed Government Models ever made.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
45 Posts
In response to anyone who has ever doubted or had a problem with the feel of the grips, here's my take on it for what its worth. Im 6'3", 275lbs and I've got BIG mitts. And I absolutely love the slimmed down feel of the grips on the Wiley Clapps. After using both of them (My Wiley Govt. and Cmdr. Models) for so long I picked up my old minty 1951 Govt. model and thought "damn this feels thick" with the standard plastic grips...I warmed up to the feel of those grips on the Wiley as soon as it hit my hand. So I for one really love the look and the feel of these beautiful custom grips and don't understand any of the gripes that I've heard people have with them. I'd contend that even If you've got big mitts like mine its still no excuse to say they don't fit well, they actually do work like Clapp intended. Just food for thought.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Picked up yesterday and it is one sweet gun! I actually like the feel of it better than the Special Combat Government. The trigger on the Wiley Clapp is a little bit heavier of a pull than the SCG. The SCG is almost too light for a shaky older guy like me. Now I think I need a Commander to round out the collection...I think I will go with a plain blue and throw some ivory grips on it

1 - 20 of 22 Posts