Colt Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What is a realistic current buy price range for a blued, as well as for a nickel , excellent condition , ( not NIB) 2.5" Python w/ original box /accessories?

Not seeing enough original product anywhere, to get a good idea on price range.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Your right, It's hard to put a number on them. I can tell you in CA I have paid $2300 for a 98% With no box and have seen them go for as high as $3900 on GB for the same with no box, again this is a CA sale, so prices in free America may be more stable. I think the most I would pay for a NIB 2.5" blued is $3000K and $$3500 for nickel. I think the Lew Horton models are helping to drive prices on these, also the free re-listing on GB is also affecting the ability to estimate market prices

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your right, It's hard to put a number on them. I can tell you in CA I have paid $2300 for a 98% With no box and have seen them go for as high as $3900 on GB for the same with no box, again this is a CA sale, so prices in free America may be more stable. I think the most I would pay for a NIB 2.5" blued is $3000K and $$3500 for nickel. I think the Lew Horton models are helping to drive prices on these, also the free re-listing on GB is also affecting the ability to estimate market prices
Thanks, was thinking those types of numbers also for NIB, a little lower for excellent/LNIB.
Hard to tell, when most items seem banged up, or not original.

·
Premium Member
3,529 Posts
I agree, I personally would not pay anymore than 3k for a Blued NIB. I do not collect nickel guns, but I think if you found a true NIB Nickel 2.5" for 3500, that would be a good deal. I would put that gun more like 4k-4500 imo. I would guesstimate a 98% Blue with box, which box isn't going to add that much to a true 98% or less modern Python imo, around 2k and a nickel the same about 3k. However I am the type who would rather pay the extra 1000 for that extra 2%. I also would rather have a mint one than a 98% in the box even though I love boxed guns. When you get to 99% or better, it changes back for me again, I would take the boxed gun lol.
Added: LNIB (99% or a little better) I would put in the middle of those numbers.
NIB 2.5 inch Pythons on GB/auction are unpredictable to some extent, just depends on whose bidding and how bad they want it. I have seen some which made me about fall out of my chair lol, and I have seen some completed auctions which I wished I would have been there to bid/buy.

·
Premium Member
3,529 Posts
As an addition to the above, what would a NIB 2 1/2" satin SS Python go for? More or less than a nickel one in same condition?
They will bring more for sure. I believe they finally cooled off some. You would be looking right now probably 5k-5500 for a NIB one. I had a beautiful one in picture box NIB with all, I regret selling for 4k, but I needed the money at the time...

·
Registered
148 Posts
Since we're on this subject did the 2.5 ever come factory in e-nickel? How do you tell the difference in e-nickel and satin stainless? I'm looking at one that is a 2.5 magna ported that the guy says is supposed to be e-nickel, what's the going price for these? Not trying to hijack the post, just thought I would ask while everyone is one the subject.Thanks,Josh

·
Premium Member
3,529 Posts
Yes they did come in Electroless Nickel, but they are scarce. Actually its the rarest finish of all the 2.5 inch Pythons. I have never heard of a factory ported ENickel gun period, much less a 2.5 inch Python. I would be highly suspect of such gun. I haven't kept up with the Enickel 2.5 Python prices, but they used to bring about the same as the Nickel. I know I would rather have the EN myself, just my personal preference. The easiest way to tell between a SS and an electroless nickel PYTHON would be to open the cylinder and the stainless will have a S stamped inside the ejector rod housing/shroud of the barrel. I am no expert :), just trying to help.

·
Premium Member
1,532 Posts
Yes they came in factory E nickel. E Nickels will be a K prefix stainless will be a T prefix for later. The rib and top strap on E nickel will be the same as the rest of the gun. The stainless will have the rougher mat texture. The finish on the stainless will be the same on the bottom of the barrel and the trigger guard. The E nickel trigger guards will be less shiny than the bottom of the barrel. No factory magnaporting that I am aware of ever on an E nickel. The E nicks were made 1 year the stainless 14 and will sell for much more. Makes no sense and the e nicks will have their day when folks figure out what they really are.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Yes they came in factory E nickel. E Nickels will be a K prefix stainless will be a T prefix for later. The rib and top strap on E nickel will be the same as the rest of the gun. The stainless will have the rougher mat texture. The finish on the stainless will be the same on the bottom of the barrel and the trigger guard. The E nickel trigger guards will be less shiny than the bottom of the barrel. No factory magnaporting that I am aware of ever on an E nickel. The E nicks were made 1 year the stainless 14 and will sell for much more. Makes no sense and the e nicks will have their day when folks figure out what they really are.
A real nice example of 2.5 E Nickel. I was lucky enough to get this 2.5 and a LNIB 4 inch and a NIB 6 inch E Nickel from same guy a couple years ago. The 2.5 was the only one he has not found the box for. Hope it finds it some day but still a great find.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,529 Posts
Thanks guys, I am a newbie to pythons, what would be a fair offer on an e-nickel magna ported python 2.5, no box, no letter, 98%? Also, could this have been a custom shop gun?
Last part first: With Colt anything is always possible, but I would guess it only slightly better than hitting the lottery big.
One could only guess what such gun would bring. Not factory ported hurts it, 98% (the rest of the gun which isnt altered) hurts it. I would GUESSTIMATE about 2k or a little more if nicely done would be fair for both you and him. Maybe 3k if really done by the company Magna-Port post factory. If it lettered as factory original (highly unlikely), then you could maybe triple that first number, again a complete guesstimate. I know when I ask a question I would rather get "an educated guess or slightly educated guess lol" than no answer at all :).

Never know on GB the possibilities though. It would be a nice little "heater"
:p, and even though I am a "factory original stiff", such gun intrigues me if done professionally which it probably was,. But I know I wouldnt go any higher than the stated numbers above, some might however.

·
Registered
97 Posts
It is my understanding that many of the Pythons ported by Colt were sent to Magna-Port. Why do you think that if the owner sent the gun to Magna-Port directly would detract from the price?

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
Just because I have a mean streak here is some more fuel to the fire. I bought this bright nickle new in the box I think in january of 1971. I doubt I have two boxs or so through her. Had alfonso make the rig. I have only wore it a couple times. Outgrew the belt 40 years ago. I am starting to get the hots and go out and shoot it. I always backed off as I always had another 3 or 4 357s to pack and shoot. I also have a nice blue 4".

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.