Colt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering a Colt Anaconda and was wondering how they stack up mechanically next to the Python. Is the Anaconda made with the same precision and design? Any details would be appreciated.

I'm looking at this guy, but I have no idea what a fair price would be for it:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=34481623

Any ideas on what it is worth would also be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark A.

[This message has been edited by manderson (edited 07-16-2005).]

·
Registered
711 Posts
The Anaconda is built on a different frame and internals from the Python. The Python employs a hand fitted leaf spring mechanism that while smoother may not be as rugged as the Anaconda's coil spring lockwork design.

The Anaconda is a nice shooting gun but its simpler, more rugged lockwork that's better suited to mass production is reflected in its lower cost than the Python.

·
Registered
711 Posts
manderson,

I saw the GB link you added to your post. The FE Anaconda is a beautiful gun with its BSS finish and V-frame target stocks. The Anaconda's frame is the designated AA (or MM?, I'm not positive) and uses the same grip frame as the V-frame so those are the correct stocks. As of when I looked at the auction, the reserve had not been met, I would suspect the seller wants close to $1500 for it because of its condition, FE status and that it's a Colt. If I hadn't added to my collection recently
my max bid would be about $1500 (that's how much it would be worth to me).

My 2¢

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
The Anaconda is built on the larger V size frame and the Mark V action. Much stronger. Uses coil spring instead of the leaf type. The Anaconda has been built in 44 mag and 45 Colt, while the Python was built in 38 spec, 357 Mag, and supposedly, there's a couple of 22 caliber Pythons buried under a pile of hen's teeth, somewhere. In the past, I would have said the Python was the more precisely fitted, finer tuned action, but with the later guns, probably about equal in fit and function, with a finer finish on the Python. May get some argument on that statement....

In a nutshell, the Anaconda is a big strong big bore brute, and the Python is prettier than a speckled pup.
A decent used Python seems to range from around 600 bucks, to double that for extra nice NIB asking prices....whatever the traffic will bear, and the Anaconda isn't far behind. I saw a few nice 44 Anacondas at a show today, and the cheapest was tagged $650.00. Don't have my books handy, but wholesale was in the neighborhood of 850-900 for both, as i recall. Niether is in in production at the moment, but rumored to return when Colt gets factory tooling updated.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Sorry manderson, I was unable to access the link amidst all the the thunderstorms and lightning bolts flying past the house, and didn't realize it was a 1st edition Anaconda. Definitely warrants a few premium bucks, if it's one you really crave, as there were only 1000 of them built. I don't think I would go 1500, but I'm not into 1st editions, low s/n's, commemoritives, etc. I saw one of these sell last winter, for 1250, and thought that was in the upper ranges. Beyond that, it would depend on the level of desire, depth of pockets, and how tired one was of searching. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
If you want a collector then I could possibly see the price, but it shold go no higher than $1200. The Anaconda is just a service revolver, basically nothing but a beefed up King Cobra for the big bore. The FE will add to it's value, but when the Anaconda became a Custom Shop model it then was rediculously overpriced. What basically was a $600+ revolver jumped to $1000.
If you aren't looking for a collector there are better deals out there.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Keep looking Manderson: I saw a 4" Anaconda in 44 mag. at a show today for $800, and I did not dicker on it because I have a 45 Anaconda 6" in high polish finish which is somewhat rarer. They are around, and the first edition is obviously worth more. I shoot mine so if you intend to shoot what you buy then the first editon probably would not be a good idea. There are always several Anacondas on Guns America. Try there. The 45's are usually two to three hundred more as they did not make as many. I love mine, and it shoots like a dream. Love those big 45 Colts. Good luck, Robba

·
Registered
31 Posts
I recently paid about $350 for an Anaconda in .44 mag with brushed stainless finish at a local pawn shop. Condition is about 95 %. No box or papers, but it's a nice one. This is a very low price; Most I've seen are at least $500, usually more.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Blokey:
Final bid on the FE Anaconda: $1701 and the reserve was not met.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This may be a prime example of the old dig about "this is where two foolish people met"....

·
Registered
778 Posts
Saw a 44 mag. 6' Anaconda today in a gun shop for $995, and another later in the day in a pawn shop for $995. Looks like the words out on Anacondas. All you can do is keep looking, and hope the shop is in a hurry, or perhaps uninformed on its scarity when they price a gun. We have been both extremely lucky lately, and now nothing.
Robba

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea, I was watching that also. Some people are either really stupid or just have too much money to spend. I wish my case was the latter.

One of my favorite pistols is my Custom Shop "V" series Colt Python with custom trigger job and Elliason sights. Positively new and unfired. Got it from a private seller in PA less than a year ago for $1100.

I can't find it now because the auction is closed, but someone actually paid $2200.00 for the same year Python NIB with custom trigger job and standard sights! I couldn't believe it.

I've found a lot of good deals on Anaconda's, but I was interested in the FE for the collection, but definitely not at his price.

However, (and I know this doesn't belong in this part of the forum) I used my money wisely and will soon to be the proud new owner of a 1976 Colt Gold Cup National Match Series 70, mint! This will be my first semi-auto except for my 1969 Hi-Standard Trophy. I am very excited.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts