Colt Forum banner
  • Have you found any great Black Friday deal!? Share them in this post HERE for a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
What do you want to know? They are D-frame revolvers (basically a PPS) styled after the Python. They came chambered in .38sp, .22lr, and I have heard of a .22mag but don't know for sure. You could get them in blue or nickel with a 2, 4, or 6 inch barrel.
You will have to post a specific question as the above is just general info on them.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
That's a pretty broad question and it would help if you were a little more specific.

Basics are: They were made from 1966 to 1986, built on a D frame, smaller than a Python frame. They were made in three barrel lengths, 2 1/2", 4" and 6", each length in both .22LR and .38SPL and most all of them in blue and nickel finish. The most common one was the .38SPL 4" in blue, so assuming yours is a .38SPL, it would be worth a slight bit more in nickel.
Certain Diamondbacks are quite scarce and demand some high premium prices these days.
If you have more specific question, please ask and I am sure someone here can fill in the answers. HTH

------------------
Dick

The watchwords for all mankind are.....Liberty and Freedom.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks that pretty much covers what i wanted to know as i wasnt familer with them it is a 38 Spl nickle sweet looking and feeling gun ... and it sure looks like a maller python ..

ijust wanted some basic info

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
The obvious one is the 6" 22LR in nickel, because the BB talks about it and since it is in the BB it has driven up the interest and the pricing.. They claim 2200 were made, but I think the number may be closer 1100.
The others are the 2 1/2" 22LR and .38SPL (not as scarce) and 6" 22LR in blue.
The 4" .38SPL is the most common.

------------------
Dick

[This message has been edited by diamonback68 (edited 02-13-2005).]

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
As Diamonback68 noted, and based on my experience with them, I will venture some comment on rarity. If you use the serial number listing, Colt manufactured more than 99,000 Diamondbacks. (D prefix alone) They changed in 1976 to other letter prefixed DB's since the Police Positive Specials also used the D prefix begining in 1966 (ref. Wilson). I can not confirm the production figures on total numbers produced. You can subtract the serial number ranges as easy as I can to give approximate production figures.

The 22's are more rare than the 38spl versions in most configurations (barrel length and finish). Colt manufactured lots of 38's in 4 and 2.5" configurations. (Police departments were still using the 38spl during the early years of production. I consider the 38's interesting pieces, but not rare.) The 6" 38's were produced in limited numbers (under 10,000 units) as compared to the 2.5 and 4" models. They are worth paying attention to.

The Diamondback line was not produced in many different variations (2.5", 4", 6")other than barrel length and finish (blue, nickel, and a few electroluss nickel). They are pretty much the same from beginning (1966) to end of the production run ending in 1986. But, earlier DB's had grooved triggers and the later ones had smooth triggers. Colt changed boxes also over the years of production and the boxes were consistant with other revolver models manufactured during those years.

Target walnut stocks were placed on the 4" and 6" versions and combat grips were placed on the 2.5". Some late production included factory pachmyr grips with the colt medalion. 6" production started in about 1978 or 1979 when Colt discontinued the 4" model. The 4" model was re-introduced in about 1981. The 6-inch models were first cataloged in 1978 and continued to be cataloged until production ceased in 1986.

Factory engraved DB's are the most rare of all in 22LR.

As Diamonback68 said, the Nickel 22's get a lot of attention due to the Blue Book's reporting of 2200 produced. (They are worthy of serious attention from collectors.) The 4" factory Nickel 22's were also produced in limited numbers.

I don't pay very much attention to the 38spl models in general. My focus has always been the 22's.

If you look around, you will find that the 2.5" 22's are the hardest to find in NIB or 98%+ condition. They get scooped up pretty quickly when put up for sale. As mentioned in other threads, I have not seen a nickel 2.5" 22 DB and I would be extremely interested in one should one come up for sale.

All 98%+ Diamondbacks are probably worthy of collector interest. But, the 38's are pretty common from a production perspective. The Blue Book has always listed a premium for the 22's over the 38spl models due to rarity. If I saw a nice 38 DB and the price was right, I would probably buy it. Hope this helps Colt38.

I suspect that you could use the pricing differentials listed by the Blue Book to give you a strong indication of DB rarity.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
There you go guys, now 22-rimfire has let most of the cats out of the bag. Please don't use this against us and drive the prices even higher, they are high enough already. Only kidding and good luck.

------------------
Dick

·
Registered
807 Posts
Diamondback68 and 22-rimfire:

1)Thanks to the both of you, for your very excellent(And, informative!)Colt Diamondback information! Very helpful!

2)I wish that I would have known all of these facts, a couple of months ago-as I had run accross a 98%+ 2-1/2" blue(.22)Diamondback, in a nearby gun shop(On consignment)!

3)So far, I only have one Diamondback in my meager Colt collection(A blue(4-inch).22!)!

3)Just last week, I came accross a(6-inch)blue(.38)Diamondback, that was "Mint" except for having a tiny spot of rust on the rear side of the cylinder(So, I passed on it!)! The price was $600!

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
It is kind of fun to let a few cats loose regarding Diamondbacks every now and then. They are great guns and are great collector guns because of the interest and re-sale potential. I hope that I didn't affect the price of the 6" 38spls too much. The Blue Book does not provide much information on them, but they are special because they never sold very well. I am always on the lookout for good stuff.

For info, the electroluss 22's were packaged in plastic boxes as was typical of the time that they were sold.

Enjoy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.