Colt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All:
I am looking at this for sale locally and was hoping for some info on it. Is this based on the small frame Police Positive models? Are the grips correct? I have not held it in hand, looks decent from the photos. Its in an auction, what is a reasonable price range? Thanks in advance.
Bicycle part Wood Tool Metal Nickel

Office supplies Publication Font Rectangle Bicycle part

Natural material Rim Jewellery Silver Auto part

Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

Air gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel Gun accessory

Writing implement Office supplies Writing instrument accessory Font Cylinder

Wood Wood stain Varnish Hardwood Pattern

Office supplies Writing implement Ball pen Publication Font

Revolver Air gun Gun barrel Trigger Gun accessory

Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
The Officer's Model revolvers are the same frame size as the Official Police, wrong stocks / grips. The grips are Python grips from the 1960's
Judging by the listings on Guns International a reasonable price range seems to be between $850-$900 to $1200+

·
Registered
7,344 Posts
The Officer's Model revolvers are the same frame size as the Official Police, wrong stocks / grips. The grips are Python grips from the 1960's
Judging by the listings on Guns International a reasonable price range seems to be between $850-$900 to $1200+
Offering a slight correction: Those are Python stocks from the late 1970’s - early 1980’s.

·
Premium Member
3,620 Posts
Looks like a very early 3rd issue officers model by the 2nd issue Maltese cross barrel marking but the 1926 patent date. Fantastic guns, one of Colt’s best! Officers models are E frame, grips interchange with I frame (Python) which is what yours has on it. The grips are later 3rd Gen Python grips. The grips are worth 250-300 but nice period correct original OM grips will run you around 2 bills. Haven’t kept up with prices since covid but that gun is clean looking. No major flaws not seen, I would not hesitate dropping 1000 on it.

Some info on Officer’s Models:

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
16,655 Posts
That's a winner of a revolver.
In it's day the Colt Target model revolvers were the best in the world and held all the Match records.
That one seems to be in astoundingly good condition, and was obviously well treated.

The Officer's Models were built on Colt's medium "E" frame, which is the same size as the later Colt Python.

Here's some general info on the Colt Officer's Model series..........

Officer's Model

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also offered at this auction is a group of Colt grips, two of which appear to be the correct type and possibly the original ones to this revolver. Did Colt number grips to the guns like Smith did sometimes? TIA

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Also offered at this auction is a group of Colt grips, two of which appear to be the correct type and possibly the original ones to this revolver. Did Colt number grips to the guns like Smith did sometimes? TIA
They often did number the grips, sometimes with only the last few numbers. Do you know the serial number?

·
Premium Member
3,620 Posts
Be sure the target grips aren't hiding a blemish before investing too much in original grips. But I get a feeling that it will look pretty good under the wood. Well kept gun by all appearance.
I actually started to post this but didn’t because I figured it’d be alright. I too have seen target stocks put on a revolver to cover a bad place, persons name, SS# and the likes. Not related to stocks but probably the saddest for me personally was found a first year 4 inch Python in box with goodies, all original, beautiful early Smiley grips. I mean it was mint….Sort of… until opened the cylinder and across bottom of frame under cylinder, guy had put his SS#.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts