Colt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently installed a new safe, which is a new thing for me. The safe is located in downstairs area which has higher humidity and lower temp than the rest of the house. I installed a safe type heater like a golden rod and 2 eva packs. The temp in the safe stays around 74-75 degrees and the humidity 42-45 percent. I would ask some of you more knowledgeable people if this adequate or a safe level to prevent rust. I keep the guns well oiled about once a month. Thanks for any comments.

·
Premium Member
12,780 Posts
I'm certainly not a safe expert but it sounds like you're doing everything right. Mine's in the basement and to get numbers like yours I had to install a dehumidifier system. But if yours maintains those numbers I believe you're good to go!

·
Premium Member
7,489 Posts
I think museums call for 50% humidity at 70 degrees. I don't keep the house that cool in the summer. Mine is in the 74 to 75 degree range for temp and humidity varies around 45% to 52%. I believe steel won't rust if humidity is 50% or less. If humidity is too low (winter time) then wood cracking and shrinkage can be a problem.
I've found that a safe in climate controlled conditions with guns that are wiped down regularly and no major temperature swings causing condensation, you won't have issues. Storing in boxes can be more the danger than anything.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts