Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who knows something about this revolver?

The easy part; it is a Colt Kodiak 44 Mag, basically an Anaconda with unfluted cylinder. Limited production of some number. Probably from the Custom Shop, with ported barrel.

So anything else? Who was the distributor or distributors that ordered these? What year or years were they produced? (The one below is 1993) Was it really Custom Shop or just my guess? Why can't Colt even tell me anything? Collector appeal? And what about the Kodiak's little brother the Grizzly?

PS I didn't do so good on the test, that's why I'm asking! I know very little about these guns.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Could it be a Lew Horton? Someone must know something. Anyone even heard of one? Anyone else have one?

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Majic for responding!

I've searched the internet to no avail trying to get info on the Kodiak & the Grizzly. I have at least come up with (some) solid info on the Grizzly.

I think his post is mostly true. However I don't see that it could be the "predecessor to the Anaconda" as he states since Colt was able to date mine as 1993. We know that the Anaconda was released for sales in 1991. Mine is one of the 1st 400 Kodiaks made so I figure they couldn't have started before 1991. But there again I really don't know this for sure. I guess I could call Colt & ask for the manufacture date for S/N CKA0001 & then I'd know when they were 1st produced. There's an idea!

A buddy of mine said he believed it was a Lew Horton order but I can find nothing to corroborate this claim. Colt was able to tell me 2000 produced.

I figured there must be some Colt fan on this forum who has information on these guns. But only you stepped up. Thank you. So I guess that makes you & I the "expert" on these 2. I'm still digging up pieces to the puzzle. I would have thought that with them being different (obscure) that it might stir some interest from lovers of Colt wheel guns. Maybe they are just too obscure for the majority.

The "blue book" does have a brief listing for the Grizzly, but it is wrong. It says 500 produced. No mention of the Kodiak.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
There is a poster on the "Shootersville.com" site that I remember him saying he owns a Kodiak. I will run a search over there and see if he has any info for you.
Colt has from time to time released handguns that have become secretive over the years. I have a limited Lew Horton edition of the Magnum Carry called the Combat Cobra. I haven't found much info on that model either.

Mr. Dfariswheel is the resident expert (a title I give him and he rightly deserves it) here and hopefully he can shed some more light on the Kodiak.

[This message has been edited by Majic (edited 11-12-2003).]

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,888 Posts
Sorry, I got squat on the Grizzly or the Kodiak. I've heard about both, but that's about all.

I retired before they appeared, so I didn't hear much more than they existed, but I "think" they were Lew Horton models.

Thanks to you guys for your faith in me, BUT
A. I'm not an expert, I've just seen a lot of guns, and did a lot of reading.

B. I visit here most every day, but I don't horn in unless I've got something I think might be of interest.

In any case, thanks for the vote of confidence, albeit misplaced.

Majic
If you have a picture of your Combat Cobra, would you please post it.
I was sure the Combat Cobra was a Lew Horton fancy version of the 2 1/2" King Cobra, not the much smaller Magnum Carry.

In either case, I'd like to see how the Combat Cobra was set up. Most of the Horton Colt's were really nicely made guns.

Thanks

[This message has been edited by dfariswheel (edited 11-12-2003).]

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The wheel is correct. The Combat Cobra is a Lew Horton 2 1/2" Stainless revolver based on the King Cobra (not the Magnum Carry).

It should have smooth (non checkered) wooden combat style (more accurately compact style with pinky finger)grips & medallion.

The S/N of the one I've seen began with a CCXXXX I suppose for Combat Cobra. I'm not sure what year they were produced but my best guess would be around 94 or 95. But that is just a wild a$$ guess! A quick call to Colt will tell you that for sure. they may be able to tell you production #'s also.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
The info in the Blue Book is about as close as you will come to any hard numbers. I had two each of the Grizzly, and the Kodiak, but sold one of each, to ease vault overflow. Both guns were Custom Shop offerings in 1993, and quantities are guesstimated at 500 for the Grizzly, and 2000 for the Kodiak. probably close to correct, but I sometimes wonder, because I have seen more Grizzlies, than Kodiaks. Curious, but means nothing. Both are quite scarce.
The Kodiak and Grizzly were offered, and orders taken, much like many of the other limited runs that have been produced by the Custom Shop. The Combat Cobra was produced for, and sold exclusively by, Lew Horton, but to my knowledge, the Grizzly and Kodiak were Custom Shop offerings to anyone who placed an order during it's limited run. Prices have been all over the map, but seem to be stabilizing on the high dollar side, now that they are becoming better known.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts