Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Colt's iconic poster from 1926, "Tex and Patches".

Been wanting to do this for a long time. Would have sucked in my gut if I'd thought about it but was trying to keep my pony awake at that moment. Happy Halloween :)

I missed the conchos on my shotgun chaps, the saddle blanket and the vest pockets are reversed. Missing some silver on the bridle, paisley on the neckerchief and a skinny ass horse. Do got a better hat, spurs and actual stirrups. So thinking I have a better horse and saddle! Ivory is a carved eagle not a steer head. Bear (my horse) is 14.3H, a tiny little fellow and I have a 36" inseam. You can image how small Patches was suppose to be ;) A guy could hook his spurs under that little cayuse!

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The shotgun chaps I've had for 30 years. For a while they was a little too tight. Loose again now :) But a pain in the ass to get on and off as they are step ins. No new fangled zippers here!

The Colt? It is a Colt of course. The right hand gun, one of a pair, 3rd gen, 4 3/4" .45. Hand engraved with hammer and chisel by "Texas Jack", Frank Leaman. Carved ivory by Gene at Gunner Products.

Unknowingly I used the wrong gun! Should have been a .44 by the artist's personal account :)

"Famous painting of a frontier sheriff which was reproduced by the Colt Company and distributed in the form of a large wall hanger. The artist, Frank E. Schoonover, wrote in 1926: The material for the picture was gathered from actual experience on ranches in Colorado and Montana. The painting is built up around the character of the man ‘Tex’ and his horse ‘Patches.’ Patches was probably the best and the most unpretentious cayuse in the cow country. He was ewe-necked and raw-boned but almost human when it was necessary to find a trail or get to camp on a black night. Tex and Patches just naturally made pictures when they were together, and it was always pretty fine to see them up on some little butte – horse and rider outlined against the sky. Tex would pull his foot out of the stirrup, turn a bit in the saddle, and look all about the country – just as you see him doing in the painting.” Tex favored the “Frontier” Colt revolver."

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
Well done Yahoody, you should now and forever more be known as "Tex", that's the coolest thing I've seen!

On Antiques Roadshow Monday there was a repeat of an appraisal of a "Tex and Patches" poster. Apparently the appraiser was Herb Tarlek from WKRP!
Frank Schoonover Colt Poster, ca. 1925 | Antiques Roadshow | PBS

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Yep, Rick's addition of the video tells it like it is :) Thanks much Rick :) Glad everyone enjoyed the thread! Wanted to make a "copy" of the photo for decades but only just recently had everything I needed to do it right.

Helps to have a herd to choose from for horses. Patches was a unique horse. Tough guy to duplicate. Bear is on the far right end of the conga line, and my smallest gelding.

·
Premium Member
869 Posts
Yahoody, I'm glad that you didn't bend the brim up on that great hat. You have a John Wayne look about you. I did a little research on the painting by Schoonover and was surprised that it was a watercolor. The area of the Colt and gun belt is pretty detailed for a watercolor IMO.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Don't worry about the girth; most of us wore a shorter belt Back When.

Awesome photos. Good to have so much sky behind you. The shadow from the hat doesn't hide your facial features. Four cartridge loops showing. Bear has much character. So much to view.

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
"Tex would pull his foot out of the stirrup, turn a bit in the saddle, and look all about the country – just as you see him doing in the painting.”

Always bothered me that there were no stirrups showing. Glad he had a reason for that one. But always loved the painting and prints.

really good link on the painting's history here:

https://www.frankschoonover.org/1001-2000/1401-1500/1419-tex-and-patches/

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Yahoody,

Looks great, I love it!! One piece of advice if you do it again. Your revolver needs a larger than usual grip like in the original Tex and Patches. Maybe something like this :cool:.

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
johngross said:
Looks great, I love it!! One piece of advice if you do it again. Your revolver needs a larger than usual grip like in the original Tex and Patches. Maybe something like this :cool:.
Thanks John and you're right! Send that one along and I'll do new picture for you :) I'll even return the gun!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts