Colt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The thread about cowboy music can't go by without a bit about Tex Ritter.

Tex Ritter was born in southeast Texas, around Neidham as I recall. He was at the University of Texas with J. Frank Dobie and Johnny Lomax, so was well versed in Texas lore. He was on Broadway in a musical which I believe was the prelude to Oklahoma! He made a few old time "B" grade western movies and cut a few records. He moved to Tennessee and was on the Grand Ole Opry many times. He did the background song "High Noon". He ran for senator from Tennessee, unsuccessfully. And was on an airliner hijacked to Cuba.

He was stricken with a fatal heart attack in Nashville as he had gone to bail a friend out of jail.

Bob Wright

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Tex Ritter had a rough sounding voice that prob. would not work on many songs, but some how his voice was a perfect match for the song from the movie High Noon, no one else could have done it better. The song has a great story to it, and a deep beat almost like a heart beat. i still listen to it once and awhile. No body did it better then Tex Ritter.
I don't even remember any of his other song's.

·
Registered
274 Posts
He actually lived in Nederland, Texas, as did I. We used to walk by his old house - if I remember, it was a two-story white house. Of course, I did not know who he was, but I was aware that a famous person had lived there a long time ago. A few years ago my son started singing 'High Noon' and I told him the story.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I am sure Tex had sung and recorded a few X-mas songs. Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer was made more popular by Gene Autry's rendition , often played during the winter holiday.

John Ritter was Tex Ritter's son, who died after succumbing to an aorta rupture ( aneurysm) bad cardiac for Dad & Son.

·
Registered
8,057 Posts
I am sure Tex had sung and recorded a few X-mas songs. Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer was made more popular by Gene Autry's rendition , often played during the winter holiday.

John Ritter was Tex Ritter's son, who died after succumbing to an aorta rupture ( aneurysm) bad cardiac for Dad & Son.
John Ritter and I went to Junior High School together...Walter Reed Junior High, Located in North Hollywood, California..He was a comedian all through school.. He was credited for taking a Home Room Teachers Desk from a Second Floor Classroom and suspending it from a Flag Pole...I do not have independent knowledge of his quilt or innocence..BUT he never displayed any of his fathers attributes that I recall..

·
Premium Member
825 Posts
I remember his old song, smoke smoke smoke that cigarette.
Just to give credit where credit is due, Merle Travis wrote that for Tex Williams who sang the original version in 1947. Another popular recording was by Phil Harris.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tex Ritter's most famous song was Rye whisky and he was told as long he could do that song, he'd never be broke. Another novelty song of his was Blood on the Saddle. His rendition of Streets of Laredo and A-ridin' Ole Paint are also classics.

I missed the concert of concerts, Tex Ritter and Johnny Cash when they appeared here in Memphis. A relative's hose burned that day and we left to go to their assistance.

Bob Wright

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.