Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the recent trip to Hondo, I made it a point to go through Fredericksburg to visit Cimarron Firearms' store, Texas Jack's. The fact that this took me from Waco around Austin and San Antonio traffic was no coincidence. Anyway, it's a great shop with a whole bunch of their guns on display, ready for purchase. Along with CAS clothing and gear. What first caught my eye was the racks of gunleather, most of which comes from El Paso Saddlery. They had floral carved Theodore Roosevelt holsters and belts on sale for 35% off and as I looked through the stuff, I knew I'd have to get something. I moved onto looking at used guns, stopping to fondle a Colt Burgess replica as well as a Colt Lightning rifle by Pedersoli and then the new stuff. I handled some nice stuff but the only thing that really that tempted me to take home was a Chiappa 1892 .44Mag because they have the new fast twist. I mentioned something about the .44Spl while talking to the clerk and he said, "if you like the .44Spl, check this out". I knew I was in trouble when he brought out a pair of used Cimarron Model P's, both in .44Spl and both stocked in BarS TruIvory. One with 5½" barrel, the other a 7½". I agreed to give them both a new home, emailed the clerk a copy of my local dealer's FFL and perused the rest of the store. I knew that I needed to get some leather for the new guns and found a Theodore Roosevelt belt that was the perfect fit, along with a holster for the 5½" gun. For the 7½" I found a crossdraw Duke holster. I could have easily made a new rig for myself but sometimes it's nice for someone else to do all the work. Can't wait to try some favorite .44 Special loads in them.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Very, very nice looking pistol (rig nice too!). I consider myself primarily a shooter. I have never owned a SA that wasn't a Colt. But it has been extremely tempting a time or two...and those two would have sorely tempted me.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
Very, very nice looking pistol (rig nice too!). I consider myself primarily a shooter. I have never owned a SA that wasn't a Colt. But it has been extremely tempting a time or two...and those two would have sorely tempted me.
sixguns,

I know what you mean about shooting Colt SAA revolvers, but last year I broke down and got my first Cimarron clone. Then a few more crept into the fold. I have early 1st Gen SAA revolvers and I shoot them once in a while. They are old, used, and never know how they have been treated in the past so shooting them is fun, but the clones like Cimarron or Taylors offer the opportunity to shoot the heck out them, carry them, and not worry about dropping one, getting the blue worn, etc! Just fun guns to play with and having the same feel of the REAL thing. They are also good to loan your friends that don't know much about shooting a Colt revolver too.

I normally fully disassemble them, remove any burrs in the action, and just slick it up. I also do a little action work if needed to make them operate as the should. Give one of them a try for a low cost SAA!

·
Registered
961 Posts
Abwehr - You make some excellent and perfectly logical arguments in favor of the clones. But, I long ago accepted that logic and reason are only illusions when it comes to this Colt SAA addiction!

More seriously, I do appreciate seeing your thoughts on it. I have considered those points in my struggle to gain better insight into my "disease" over time.

From what I have read, I am convinced there are clones that, from a shooting/utilitarian perspective, are the equal of the Colts. But once we get past the point of owning more than a couple of handguns and a good shotgun, most of us are way past operating on utilitarian principles. Any additions past that are because we just want to own it.

I may end up with a clone someday. I should confess to owning a Ruger SA here and there over time. And a Cimarron Schofield has spent some time at my place in the past. But those were "experiments." And experimenting with action work has been the biggest reason I've thought about getting a clone. Sort of a "if I mess this up, what has it cost me (in relative terms)?"

But I read/learned early on how to properly operate/care for a SAA. After owning a fair number of Colt SAAs, I've never had one show any appreciable wear to the action or timing - and that includes a pair I've owned close to twenty years that used to get shot in cowboy matches on a regular basis. Those old "dogs" just got smoother over time and still shoot as well as they ever did.

I am down to where 80% of my SA shooting is done with a couple of my favorites. I rarely shoot a cowboy match any more. If I were to start over, maybe I would shoot a pair of Cimarrons...maybe.

I have been fortunate to be able to own/shoot Colts. The warm fuzzy feeling I get from that has been "worth it" to me.

Sorry for the ramble! I am very glad the clones came along. I have little doubt they helped convince Colt to keep the SAA in production and probably caused the quality of the Colt to rise back up to where it belongs.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
sixguns,

I can't disagree with you on anything you stated; Colt is still the absolute best SAA revolver ever built! I do realize that they are manufactured buy Man and once in while we do make mistakes, LOL! From what I know about Colt Mfg, is that they do take care of warranty work.

Since I have early 1st Gens, I would like to have a nice 3rd Gen revolver. The prices of them today are climbing into the range of a 1st Gen that may need a little work on them. Since i can do much of the work myself, and if I can't, Jim Martin can and when it gets back to me, it is perfect! I can get them that "may" have some history, LOL!

·
Registered
961 Posts
Abwehr - I feel like I am having a conversation in my head except it is showing up on the Forum!?! LOL

I am fortunate to own 1st Gen worked on by Mr. Martin. I am not sure life can be any better for a Colt fiend!

After all that, those .44s that prompted Craig to start this thread still look fantastic!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts