Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Recently got a copy of the W.W. Sterling book "Trail And Trials Of A Texas Ranger." Its a helluva book with a lot of seldom seen photo's and nice line drawings of late old west action.

One photo of the famous Ranger J.A. Brooks caught my eye. its on pg 324 of the book, Ranger Brooks is holding a C-96 Mauser "Broom Handle" Automatic pistol- 1903. The Mauser would have been in production for about 7 years and still been considered a new fangled gun

Found the photo from the book on line and thought some here might like to see it.

I think Ranger Brooks was wounded in one arm pretty badly- possible that was the reason he picked up the Mauser

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Its interesting that we have seen Texas rangers with Colt 1911's, Lugers, and the C-96 prior to 1920.
The tech of the automatic pistol was really new then but some of them jumped into it.

There is another photo floating around of a cowboy in a bar with a C-96 and a hell of a flashy C-96 wide belt western rig with hundreds of metal spot's- can't find that photo right now, looks like the 1920's (and a 'drug store' cowboy)

I did find this photo of a shoulder stocked C-96 from Oklahoma circa 1904 captioned

"The Anadarko, Oklahoma Sheriff who carried a 7.63mm Mauser Broomhandle was very likely James Thompson (far left), who became Sheriff on February 5, 1902. This photo is believed to have been taken in 1904. "

https://www.pyramydair.com/airgun-experience/another-look-umarex-broomhandle-mauser-model-712/

Its from a quite interesting "Pyramydair" write up on the C-96 from a review of the Umarex C-96 with some info on the C-96 in the west.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts