Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Well he’s cocked and locked and probably knows how to use it. Never had a problem with exposed trigger holsters but if it makes the carrier feel safer more power to them.

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
The idea of an exposed trigger holster being dangerous is the product of snowflake intellect.
Those who have worked LE would know. I carried a 1911 in my early days of LE with a std level 2 duty rig. Doubt I fit the "snowflake" profile.
Vic

·
Registered
686 Posts
Exposed trigger? There's a good reason they don't make those anymore.
We have come a long way.
I'll make the point, that y'all have actually gone backwards! At the turn of the last century all automatics had external safeties, even -- especially -- the striker-fired ones. But at the end of that last century y'all let Gaston Glock, a sewing machine man, con you into pistols with NO safeties -- especially on his striker pistols!

Slowly external safeties are reapparing on other makers' striker pistols. But in the meantime even holster makers failed to see that a covered guard on a Glock does nothing to protect the user except keep a stranger from pulling the trigger (in the old Ranger's day, even trying was asking to be shot dead); while ADDING the danger of the covered guard catching the trigger finger of the unwary and actually firing the pistol.

For that reason I don't make gunleather for Glocks -- holsters lull consumers into thinking they have made their Glocks safe as they would've on their 1911. But in fact that is impossible; the pistol can still be fired in the holster and many, many, many have been fired in Safarilands. I've quite a long list of their shootings.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Great pix..............I have purchased many used holsters from eBay. I would check with the DPS if they have left in the warehouse !

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
That's a great picture- I read somewhere that in the early years of the 1911, Rangers and other South West lawmen like notorious coffee pot ventilator Charlie Miller, would carry them with a round in the chamber at half cock with rawhide wrapped around the grip safety and then, thumb cock them when they cleared leather like a SAA, hey that's what worked for them and what they were used to doing.

No way in hell I would tell them ''yer doing it wrong."

Here's another photo of a Texas Ranger with his (engraved and ivory handled?) 1911 and carved leather carry rig- from the 50's? Looks like he has a Remington Mod 11 or a Browning A5 with a carved leather ammo carrier as well.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
He's doing it wrong. It would be very easy for him to loose that gun in fight, or have some one discharge it in the holster.
Might look nice to some one who never worked as a cop.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Both holsters shown could possibly be the "Audley Safety Holster" similar to this one. The safety holster has a sprung lock incorporated into the holster - it must be depressed before the gun can be drawn from the holster. Here's one, similar to the one I bought from Turnerriver a year or two ago (except the one I bought is in a lot nicer condition):

·
Registered
8,934 Posts
I still use a 'Colt 24A' - made by Wally Wolfram for Colt sometime in the late '60's - early '70's that's identical.

Mine's in smooth black, and nowhere near as pretty as LEO918's, but it's given good service and has seen the world.

Always carried cocked and locked, and never a worry.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts