Colt Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for your reply dfariswheel. These type charcoals are what Turnbull uses but they will not tell ANYONE where they get it. The guy that is helping me worked for Colt, Winchester, and still works with many of the top notch restorers. He knew Doug Ts Dad and said he was pretty sure he used these specific charcoals. The product you buy from Brownells is not the same and will not give you the best colors I would like to achieve. I'm still hoping someone here will know a source for these "ingredients". If anyone knows a source or someone willing to divulge this info. please let me know. Again, Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
The bone charcoal (bone char) DTR uses (or did use) was from Ebonex Corp.
http://www.ebonex.com/b_tox.htm
>
click on the 'bone char' link, then on 'applications' and the first link is for Gun case hardening and blueing (charcoal blueing).
Used to come in by the tractor trailer load. Most all of the casehardeners get their stuff from Ebonex. The difference in colors is a techique of correct mixture of bone char & wood char, temp, time in furnace, pack, temp of quench, etc. Lots of small things add up to the correct results. But it all starts with a correct polish and clean metal parts. Used the same bone char for the 'charcoal blueing' but pulverized a bit more than the C/C sized stuff.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts