Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to take this opportunity to thank the law enforcement community for spending your careers trying to keep our communities safe.

You have to interact with some of the worst members of society, yet you get up every morning, put on the uniform, strap on your gun, and go out to face danger and do your best to keep us all safe and free.

Members of our armed forces, and veterans all wrote a blank check, up to and including your lives, to protect our country and our way of life.

Thanks to all of you.

"Thanks" is really not enough to express my gratitude and appreciation, but I don't know a better word.

Without our military and law enforcement, we would not enjoy the freedoms and privileges that we all take for granted in America - including the freedom to own Colts and discuss them here publicly.

Having visited over 60 countries on 5 continents, I know that the USA is the best country, with the most freedoms and opportunities for our citizens, in the entire world.

BTW, these words are heard too infrequently by LEO, armed forces and veterans.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
From a Vet's perspective, "Thanks" is sufficient.

Ed
Major Dad

·
Premium Member
12,780 Posts
I want to take this opportunity to thank the law enforcement community for spending your careers trying to keep our communities safe.

You have to interact with some of the worst members of society, yet you get up every morning, put on the uniform, strap on your gun, and go out to face danger and do your best to keep us all safe and free.

Members of our armed forces, and veterans all wrote a blank check, up to and including your lives, to protect our country and our way of life.

Thanks to all of you.

"Thanks" is really not enough to express my gratitude and appreciation, but I don't know a better word.

Without our military and law enforcement, we would not enjoy the freedoms and privileges that we all take for granted in America - including the freedom to own Colts and discuss them here publicly.

Having visited over 60 countries on 5 continents, I know that the USA is the best country, with the most freedoms and opportunities for our citizens, in the entire world.

BTW, these words are heard too infrequently by LEO, armed forces and veterans.
Amen! Very thoughtful of you to post this. I can't agree more.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Well said Sir and Kudo's for this thread.

New Hampshire has had a tough 2 months with our Brave LEO.

Not a day goes by that I don't think about those that Protect and fight for us everyday.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
Thanks more than works for me....when I finished my tour in '73 and returned home...it was a much different reception.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Thank you!

It's very easy for those of us in law enforcement to believe everyone hates us because 99% of the people we deal with despise us for what we represent. I need to remind myself often that I am doing my job for the 1% I never deal with because they simply go about their lives in a normal manner that never involves the police.

So thanks again!

·
Registered
214 Posts
As a veteran/military-retiree, thanks for the kind thoughts!

I'd also like to commend all those dedicated LEOs out there and todays soldiers who picked up the baton when I was ready to hand it over.

Coincidentally, or maybe not, Public Service Recognition Week is going on now (6-12 May 2012).
Public Service Recognition Week

Certainly there are some "public servants" that we could live without, but a great many are dedicated professionals in defense, law enforcement, fire and EMS, etc. Thanks to all!

·
The Searcher
11,101 Posts
May 7 - Unconditional Surrender of all German Forces Signed 1945
May 8 - V-E Day Declared 1945
May 15 - Women's Army Corps Founded 1942
May 15 - Peace Officers Memorial Day
May 19 - Armed Forced Day
May 22 - National Maritime Day
May 28 - Memorial Day

Busy month. :cool:

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Thank you!

It's very easy for those of us in law enforcement to believe everyone hates us because 99% of the people we deal with despise us for what we represent. I need to remind myself often that I am doing my job for the 1% I never deal with because they simply go about their lives in a normal manner that never involves the police.

So thanks again!
After 27 years on the job, this is extremely easy to forget because the world that we work in now is so different that when I started. The level of public respect has diminished to the negative numbers due to very visible foul ups that are trumpeted by the media (& word of mouth!) whether deserved or not. We have become a "necessary evil". I can actually remember the time when we were not considered the "enemy"by a majority of people and you could actually make an arrest without a huge amount of hostility involved. You were doing your job and folks understood that. Consequently,there was much less animosity. The way to avoid unfavorable contact with the police was simply to obey the law. We were there literally to "protect & serve" and took that motto seriously. The black and white morality of those days has faded to a shade of gray where "if it feels good ,do it" justifies any behavior. Policework has become a product of the times with the focus on not offending anyone overriding justice. The public used to trust us ,with valid reason, to do the right thing. Those days are a distant memory. In a few years, I'll pass the baton to some youngster with no idea what we were all about or what it was like to have this trust.

Thanks for the thread!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts