Colt Forum banner
  • Have you found any great Black Friday deal!? Share them in this post HERE for a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
81 - 100 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Ejector for my custom colt needs no taper since it's a bull barrel. I'm looking for a non taper ejector housing.

I've done some research and the Colt SAA 3rd model doesn't have a taper, is any reproduction out there?

Any other ones That are 3 1/2" long?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Just a reminder, this is a custom build, no "complete" 1877 Colt has been used.

I started with a frame, then went from there, building a Colt that will be custom made, nothing is "historical" on it. My goal will be a functioning 1877, 32ACP, and nothing is set in concrete, which means I am wanting feedback to help me with the project, I am looking for input.

Thanks. :)

·
Registered
239 Posts
You did not reply to my question about your choice for another barrel :
The previous colt 32 barrel was much better. Why did you change your mind ?
The Colt target barrel of your first picture was tapered, and I keep thinking it was a better choice than your bull saa barrel.
Also I believe that all SAA barrels are tapered too (more or less), and a SAA ejector housing is much bigger than a 1877 one...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
As crazy as I am, this barrel issue has been driving me more crazy. o_O
I came up with a great idea that I admit stole from Dan Wesson.
Tool Musical instrument accessory Automotive exterior Auto part Metal

I have a Dan Wesson revolver in my Armory, and I pondered the idea of MAKING me a .32 threaded barrel from a Colt, then take a 1877 .38 barrel, cut off the frame threads, drill a hole 90% of the way, threading it inside, and screwing it onto the .32 barrel. Problem solved and you can't tell the difference!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
:geek: Brainstorming :geek:

So I am starting with a new idea,
Wood Office supplies Gas Rectangle Bumper

Just like the Dan Wesson idea, however I am going to screw the outer barrel over the inner barrel.
Wood Gas Metal Tool Titanium

Call me crazy, but I have to admit this just might work, this way I can clock the outside to the frame.

At least I am trying to accomplish something here. :ROFLMAO:

Wood Tool Hardwood Air gun Metal

I consider this a learning curve, eventually I will have it correct.:ROFLMAO:

I'm not drilling the barrel all the way through, only 90% hiding the barrel liner inside. You know this crazy ass idea might work for me. :LOL:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
It's a learning curve, trying to build a firearm that was made in 1878-1879 that was using different ammo, from a period of time where the firearms were made different. I understand that the problem is strictly the gunpowder today is much different than 1877-1878 and I am compensating for it by using a .32ACP round on the low end scale. It's not a safe queen, it's for getting out and working just like all of my firearms.

💡The damn thing just might work. :p

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
I am trying to locate a sewer barrel .38 1877 for the project. I don't want to use a barrel that has a good interior. So I started sending out emails to different companies and I am waiting for a response. :unsure:

·
Registered
239 Posts
May be you should buy the cheapest Lightning you can find (worn out and non functionning but with its barrel of course) and some of the other parts can help you to complete your project gun.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
May be you should buy the cheapest Lightning you can find (worn out and non functionning but with its barrel of course) and some of the other parts can help you to complete your project gun.
Actually I enjoy the hunt for parts, building firearms is a relaxing obsession. I enjoy figuring out the best way to build them. I may change parts several times before I figure out the best outcome.

If I get it correct, this could be used often without any issues, fully functioning, using ammo that is easily sourced.

My large collection of firearms is:
80% that are 100% authentic in excellent condition, mostly made before 1970's.
20% that are pure custom built, fully functioning, safe firearms, strictly bad ass.

I found a Bally slot machine from 1979, a real disaster. I basically gutted it out, serviced the cabinet, then restored everything back to the factory conditions, replacing cut wires individually, sourcing parts from all over the world. This was used in Las Vegas and I was able to locate everything, repair everything, and now it's worth a lot since nothing is missing, everything is photographed.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
More work on the parts, getting them to function without binding up. ;)
Wood Art Flooring Tool Font

After the firearm is completely timed I will blacked the parts so that they will look awesome. (y)

Hand Blue Guitar accessory Wood String instrument accessory

Getting everything in a small amount of space is very difficult to achieve, finding the ones that are rubbing is a matter of elimination. I spent 5 hours today getting the parts working smoothly. o_O
I still have the sear to adjust its rubbing and I have a good idea where. The new trigger is not 100% accurate, I found that the strut needed more room to move so I made adjustments.
Wood Tool Font Metal Metalworking hand tool

Another issue is the screws for the trigger, sear, hammer need to be cleaned up, they are rough, hard to install without a good 400 grit sandpaper. :cautious:

Wood Tool Gas Auto part Metal

I have the hand completely moving 100%, it was dragging really hard until I honed the sides getting rid of the burrs. ;)

Finger Wood Art Thumb Auto part

The cylinder stop is working excellent. 🤗

Blue Wood Revolver Gun barrel Gun accessory

When it comes to the hammer spring, the new one doesn't fit well. I am going to locate a old one. :(

Revolver Blue Trigger Wood Gun barrel

Good part is the cylinder is nats ass on target, the axes is perfect, the wiggle room is minimal. :ROFLMAO:

81 - 100 of 104 Posts