Colt Forum banner
101 - 120 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
I think when you have a firearm like this beast, and if it is not working, it might be better to start with some new parts, the theory is that everything is worn, which is causing the problem and you are chasing your tail in circles. New parts are not worn, and you can start fresh.

This Lighting book is a great guide on the evil 1877 Colt, I write notes in it, keep things organized. I narrowed down the date of manufacturer, 1878-1879. I think it's going to be a helligan.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I think when you have a firearm like this beast, and if it is not working, it might be better to start with some new parts, the theory is that everything is worn, which is causing the problem and you are chasing your tail in circles. New parts are not worn, and you can start fresh.
I think that is true for modern firearms, but 140 years ago, all parts were hand fitted at factory, and the new parts made nowadays are oversized to accommodate wear in old firearms...
The 1877's timing is difficult to achieve, and it will be necessary to go very slowly in the settings and check each time the consequence of a modification on the entire mechanism.Actually
this adventure fascinates me, keep going on ! (y)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
I think that is true for modern firearms, but 140 years ago, all parts were hand fitted at factory, and the new parts made nowadays are oversized to accommodate wear in old firearms...
The 1877's timing is difficult to achieve, and it will be necessary to go very slowly in the settings and check each time the consequence of a modification on the entire mechanism.Actually
this adventure fascinates me, keep going on ! (y)

I enjoy a challenge, I can't express the importance of working on this firearm for a couple of hours, then take and put it down. Come back when you're batteries are charged up. It is not a race to the finish line, it's more of a puzzle that takes time to figure out.

Hand fitting is what I have done for years, most of my firearms are from a period where every firearm was hand crafted.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
I don't know where I can find a sewer barrel for my project. 😥 I have been looking everywhere for it. I have other work to be done on the revolver so I can wait and see. :cautious:

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Dies your barrel need an intact forcing cone?
I am not a machist, please forgive my ignorance.
rayb

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
Dies your barrel need an intact forcing cone?
I am not a machist, please forgive my ignorance.
rayb
I'm cutting off the threads, I'm using a turned down barrel with the threads for the frame.

The replacement barrel will be drilled, threaded internally for the turned down barrel.

My goal is to have a original barrel, frame, cylinder, hammer, and the grip.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
Well, I am really determined to get this problem solved, however the obstacles are great. I'm trying to rethink the caliber idea.

It's becoming a adventure of fun and games! Most importantly is the timing of the action right now.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I have a "sewer barrel", caliber 41 colt, that I could send you, it has a cracked forcing cone, BUT while it is a colt barrel, it isn't an original lightening barrel, it came off a newer double action model.

I'll mail it to you if you would like.

rayb

Reactions: Scottz63

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
I have a "sewer barrel", caliber 41 colt, that I could send you, it has a cracked forcing cone, BUT while it is a colt barrel, it isn't an original lightening barrel, it came off a newer double action model.

I'll mail it to you if you would like.

rayb

Thanks, I think that I have gotten a handle on it. (y)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
Spent several hours on fitting the cylinder stop. Ever so slightly I filed for a match up between the cylinder and hand.
Tool Wood Composite material Automotive exterior Rectangle

On this stop the madness of Colt having so many angles.

Wood Gas Door Composite material Metal

Finally I got a positive lock, clockwise and counterclockwise.
Wood Rectangle Hardwood Wood stain Flooring

To fit the stop I am using a spring that I set up.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Take care not remove too much material from one part before trying everything together...
I believe that the internal parts must be fitted in a particular order, and progressively to verify their interractions :
first the sear (in relation with the hammer notches and the trigger stud)
then the cylinder stop ( " with the cylinder and the trigger stud, depending on the hammer positions)
and finally the hand ( " with the ratchet, specially the 2nd pawl at full cocking)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
Take care not remove too much material from one part before trying everything together...
I believe that the internal parts must be fitted in a particular order, and progressively to verify their interractions :
first the sear (in relation with the hammer notches and the trigger stud)
then the cylinder stop ( " with the cylinder and the trigger stud, depending on the hammer positions)
and finally the hand ( " with the ratchet, specially the 2nd pawl at full cocking)
Thanks, I will remember that.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
OK I have a revelation! I found out that the hammer has a pin that holds the strut from coming out. My hammer doesn't have one.
Wood Electric blue Carmine Baby & toddler clothing Flooring

For now, fitting the internal parts together is not a problem, however when I a finished I will need to repair the hammer.

Creative arts Art Sculpture Tool Bicycle part

This is what it's suppose to look like.

Watch Gesture Bicycle part Nut Auto part

·
Registered
254 Posts
You want to manufacture a tooth or trigger strut catch which is on the right side of the hammer. Yours is missing, you can see the hole. This keeps the trigger strut from slipping out of the notches in the hammer. It won't happen all the time, but I can happen.
Shrek told you already about this missing pin...

It is not very difficult to replace by a DIY pin :

Ruler Tape measure Hand tool Office ruler Wood

Ruler Office ruler Jaw Wood Tape measure

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
OK, I have been at it again!
Revolver Air gun Wood Trigger Gun barrel

What I have done is install a barrel, and the eject tube is fitting properly.

Air gun Revolver Gun barrel Wood Gun accessory

Hand Blue Guitar accessory Wood String instrument accessory

The spring inside of the action is a problem, when your working on the action it migrates throwing everything off, so I had a Remington trigger and I removed the adjustment screws with a tit and I put a small hole in the spring, after taping the hole I have a spring holder making my life easier working on the action. (y)

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
Looking good. Have you decided on a caliber yet?

101 - 120 of 181 Posts