Colt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My original thread about my old military model 1909 has kinda morphed into a discussion on the SAA, so I decided to start a new thread.

I took this old 1909 to the range today. It shoots phenomenally well. I was using mild reloads with a 230 gr FMJ bullet. Someone had put an old 2X3 foot steel plate out at 200 yards. I was hitting it about half the time. Bianchi plates at 25 yards were a piece of cake, too. I really wish Colt could still make guns like that. A buddy had a '70's model Diamondback in .38 Spl that had an incredibly smooth DA pull. It was almost like having a magic gun; you just couldn't hardly miss with it.

It seems to me that Colt has lost its way. They really don't have the quality that they were once famous for, and their prices make the average Joe turn to S&W or one of the import brands.

This old 1909 is ugly as sin, but you would never know it was 95 years old by shooting it.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> '70's model Diamondback in .38 Spl that had an incredibly smooth DA pull. It was almost like having a magic gun; you just couldn't hardly miss with it.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

WOW, some of the best words I've heard about the Diamondback lately, can I quote you?

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
BUT JOIN THE NRA
JUST IN CASE!

[This message has been edited by diamonback68 (edited 01-16-2004).]

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For $1.50 you can get exclusive rights to all my quotes. Actually, I've always thought that the Python was a little overrated. Not that it isn't a good gun... it is. It's just that it's so heavy and unwieldy. I feel the same way about the S&W mod. 27 or 28. The Diamondback is a nice medium frame tack-driver. Everybody ought to have at least one. Hard to imagine that it's basically a Police Positive with make-up.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Hi, Robert W.! And welcome. The first time I met a Diamondback was on a police training range about 30 years ago. They were just a catalogue picture to me until I saw it shoot! Hard to swallow that the company that made that and the Python and the original .45 auto and original single action army and all the black powder guns and the M-16 and the Detective Special can't get its head out of its, ... "corporate dilemma." Dafariswheel told us on one of these pages that the D'back was popular gun on the LAPD. I've never run across many of them, even 30 years ago. Guess that's why, and along with the fact they're just outstanding guns, they fetch such a price today.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts