Colt Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I can't think iof a single change that would improve the lines of this gun. The size of the trigger guard is in perfect proportion to the size of the frame and the length of the grip. The length of the barrel perfectly balances the gun visually. Everywhere you look on this gun is interesting to your eye.

The Police Positive Special came along later and to me looks a little bulky in comparison.

SAA and Python get the publicity, but the Police Positive is the one.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
I'm afraid you're mistaken, my silly friend. Cut that barrel down to 2" and then you have the prettiest Colt DA ever made. :)

Jokes aside, thanks for sharing your love of the Police Positive with us. Truthfully, I don't think the Police Positive Special looks bulky in comparison. I never thought there was much of a size difference apart from possibly having a slightly larger cylinder to accommodate .38 Special rounds, but I am 100% with you that the Police Positive does not get the love that it deserves. They're beautiful guns, and it's no wonder they were so popular with Police Departments and the Post Office / Railway Agency.

I'd take a nice Police Positive over a SAA or Python any day. Those pre-war double action guns were some of the best Colt ever made.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I can't think iof a single change that would improve the lines of this gun. The size of the trigger guard is in perfect proportion to the size of the frame and the length of the grip. The length of the barrel perfectly balances the gun visually. Everywhere you look on this gun is interesting to your eye.

The Police Positive Special came along later and looks bulky in comparison.

Hornets nest has officially been kicked! This should be fun. It is damn pretty but I can’t wait for responses

·
The Consummate Collector
7,448 Posts

The Police Positive Special came along later and looks bulky in comparison.

It appears that you have posted a picture of a Police Positive Special and not a Police Positive. Which is the one that you like?

·
The Consummate Collector
7,448 Posts
I went back to my archive files of photo's and here is the comparison photo showing each in 4". The one on the top is the 4" Police Positive and the lower one is the Police Positive Special.

The Police Positive .38 was chambered in .38 New Police (.38 S&W) thus the shorter cylinder, while the .38 Police Positive Special was chambered in .38 Special.

Note the longer ejector rod on the Police Positive Special to accommodate the longer cartridge of the .38 Special.

Cam

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I like sixties and later , definitely shrouded for DA .
The proportion and size key words jumped out at me.

I saw a sweet .32 Colt revolver last week .
Condition , “ lines “ and price were and are very tempting to me .
Additional 3 boxes of ammo , basically looked free.
I don’t have the money , and definitely not for that , but could purchase it .

I have small interest in theses pre sixties DA’ s - mostly cos wife found this holster for $6.

I guess I go back and look at it , maybe take a pic to post
Bag Luggage and bags Bicycle Bicycle part Musical instrument accessory
Bag Luggage and bags Bicycle Bicycle part Musical instrument accessory

·
Registered
181 Posts
Only have one Police Positive in .38 S&W. Has a 4 inch bbl. I prefer the OP square butt and NS revolvers. Only reason that I bought it was the factory lanyard ring. The lanyard ring balances out the longer bbl. But a PP with a 2 inch bbl would be sweet.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
It appears that you have posted a picture of a Police Positive Special and not a Police Positive. Which is the one that you like?
I thought the photo he posted might have been a Police Positive Special, but as the barrel marking is non-legible, I didn't want to say anything. :) Maybe he's mistaken a different bulky gun as a PPS and actually likes them both.

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Circling back around to this. I posted the wrong picture in the OP originally :eek: Corrected the image for anyone who might find this thread in the archives in the future...

·
Registered
233 Posts
No flies on the Police Positive, but I take issue with it being the "prettiest Colt DA ever made". IMHO that distinction goes to the Police Positive Special - this one in .32-20:
Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

Bulky??? Nah!

Reactions: MARKGGTP
1 - 18 of 18 Posts