Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those interested, I’ve put together a final piece regarding my own observations of SA Charles Winstead after reviewing his FBI personnel file from the 30s. Known for his role in the Dillinger killing and participation in other major events, the image most have of him today only comes from Stephen Lang’s portrayal in the movie, “Public Enemies” (or the book) and/or maybe some small mention of him in publications.

Mainly through his Bureau ratings, and the observations of insiders, I’ve attempted to paint a picture of one of the Bureau’s more colorful pioneers.
Winstead was serving under SAC "Jelly" Bryce when he went afoul of Director Hoover.

You can read it here, and more, at our website:

http://historicalgmen.squarespace.com/sa-charles-winstead-abrupt-fe/

E
njoy the ride
Larry Wack
FBI (Ret.) 68-03

·
Registered
9,245 Posts
When I saw Public Enemies and then read the book, Winstead reminded me of two other FBI agents in the same vein. In his great book "WILL", G. Gordon Liddy tells of just starting out in the 50s and was wondering about two older agents that were well past mandatory retirement age. They were old Oklahoma lawmen who joined the FBI and were the best shots and were called upon to respond to situations first if shooting was expected. They took Liddy under their wing because he showed great promise on the range. At their first observation of Liddy one guy told him to put his S&W .38 away and "Here. Use this", and handed him a tuned up 5" pre model 27 .357 and said use it until he got one himself, which he did. Only his was 3 1/2". They also told him to buy a holster from this company in Texas which had to be S.D. Myres. These two old timers were Wayne Brantner and John Paul Jeter. I think I'll search them up. The advice about gunfighting one of these guys gives Liddy is profound and in itself worth buying the book. Now, to read your link...

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
I explored the website & decided it's a keeper. I copied its address so I can go back & get into more of the details. To benefit my email addressees I sent them a copy of the email address with my recco they give it serious attention.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Thanks Larry for pointing out your website. I particularly liked the article on the Pre-war Super .38.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I enjoyed that story about Winstead.
It's nice to see that someone can exist in an organization which (as does any organization) becomes very homogenous. All square pegs in square holes. He was an individualist.
I'm no great fan of 'diversity'.
I think Winstead reminds me of Ted Nugent, in a sense. I know Nugent wasn't in military service. Winstead was but went in at age 51. Those were different times.
Nugent hardly fits the stereotypical rock n' roll artist format.
Yet he remains totally (financiallly) sucessful at it. And apparently never got into the drugs or the alcoholism.
Nor the left wing cause de jour disease.
dc

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If anyone is interested, you can return to the initial link in my first posting on the Winstead document. I've now added a copy of the "Efficiency Ratings" form discussed to give readers an example of what they looked like and how ratings decisions were made.

Have a wonderful Memorial Day and many thanks to those who served.
Larry Wack
FBI - (Ret.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts