Colt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The security alarm went off at 2:30 am. I'll tell the story later but I wondered two things as I cleared the house. How do you all handle this, what do you use and second how much more scarier it would have been with a baseball bat or golf club.

·
Registered
9,298 Posts
That happened to me once some years ago...the alarm company called the local Sheriffs and they responded quickly. I cleared the upstairs (handgun and flashlight) and latched the basement door...let the Deputies handle the basement.

It turned out it was my sister's cat (she was hospitalized at the time and I was taking care of the little critter). The little terror was in the basement bedroom, knocked down the window shade witch struck the alarm sensor.

To my way of thinking...I wouldn't choose a baseball bat or similar. I wouldn't want to get that close to a potential assailant(s) plus it would take time plus more maneuvering room to swing it. Everyone's situation is different...house layout...how dark it is...how awake and alert you are...level of training. It's hard to give a universal answer or recommendation.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Rick - When I went through FLETC (Federal Law Enforcement Training Center) in Brunswick, GA for the CBP Officer Basic Course one of the things we did was how to clear a house. FLETC is an old Naval Air Station which still has Capehart Style Housing (single floor plan houses); some of it is used for different scenarios, including clearing a house.

We used a minimum of three people to clear the houses; most teams had 4 officers. It takes a coordinated effort, as a team, to safely clear the houses.

With regards to my own house - if someone tries or does break-in my house. Protecting my wife, myself, and my dog from harm is my number one, my only priority, my only responsibility. I will secure our position in the master bedroom, ensure that its defensible, and call 911 to report someone uninvited is in my house. I will not go looking for trouble from a threat that I don't know if its one person or more. Don't get me wrong - if the bad guy(s) try to enter our "safe" space I will defend it with all I have; but if the bad guy wants my big screen TV in my living room and can get it out the door before the police arrive - I need a new one anyway! My current one is more then 10 years old! Of course it will be really difficult to contain my Buzzsaw aka Athena, our rescued Pit Bull. She is normally peace loving and gentle with "invited" guests but a middle of the night intruder? I'll call for the paramedics for you...you will need them!

Don't let that smile fool you - I honestly think she would of had my 140# German Shepard retreating!

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
Concur w/CWO4USCGRET. In addition to your weapon and cellphone, be sure you have a high intensity flashlight in the bedroom...and, if you call "911", tell them you're in the bedroom and will stay there until they give the "all clear".

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm not going to go stumbling around my house not knowing what I'm stumbling into. I'll make sure the kids are ok, bring them into the master bedroom and wait for the police to show up. Been in a gunfight without a gun before and have no desire to be that outmatched again anytime soon. I do sleep with a gun nearby to repel borders though :)

·
Registered
7,254 Posts
We have a four legged alarm, his bark is loud and sincere, but otherwise he's probably harmless. Now I don't know about an unwanted visiter at night.
I leave a light on.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
If there is an intruder, ol' Samuel Sean will raise enough hell to discourage 'em.

He absolutely will not latch on, regardless. He is all show & no go, but the sound effects are astonishing. It should be enough to drive any reasonable self-respeting criminal off.
If that doesn't work, I may be inclined to take up a secure and defensible position and let the problem to come to me, if it is going to, whereupon said intruder may wish he was never born, assuming he is still alive at the conclusion of the event. (questionable) I would rather beat the daylights out of 'em than shoot 'em, but sometimes that choice is not yours to make.
I have been on the wrong end of lethal threat twice, and I have also fought for my life on several occasions. I am not a toughguy, and I won't seek the confrontation, but I will let 'em know they have been in it if there is no choice.
Bashed bleepheads are often very polite, even if they are extremely unhappy. I know this for a fact.
I also believe in liberal application of physical violence: not to kill, cripple, or seriously injure......just to hurt....real bad with lots of immediate pain, and real, genuine, authentic fear. For some, it may be the only justice they will ever experience.

p.s. My primary domestic defensive choice is a 12ga. 870 security setup. Large heavy loads are not necessary indoors. #4 buckshot max, and light to medium weight birdshot preferred.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I have one light in the kitchen that never gets shut off. I dont like dark houses. I sleep with a SAA in 44spl under the pillow and have an 870 in the corner with 8 rounds of 4 buck. Oh, and there's the dogs too.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Good to hear from some Navy guys! I also would hole up in my bedroom, with the door covered. Wife pushed off the bed and blocked by the gun safe. That would be if I felt certain I had an intruder alert. Such as my dogs barking, hearing glass breaking, etc. Now for "unlikely" noises to check out, I have been known to go investigate the garage when I hear a noise, it's typically a pack rat, but I'm armed and ready.

When on my ship I was on the Security Alert Team. An alarm would sound, and in 4 minutes you'd have a bunch of sailors running around armed, trained by their once a year familiarization fire experience of one mag. Looking for intruders on a dark ship, running around with M-14s, 12 gauges, and 1911s. In a ship with steel bulkheads, overheads, and decks. Right....please don't discharge your gun!

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
"When on my ship I was on the Security Alert Team. An alarm would sound, and in 4 minutes you'd have a bunch of sailors running around armed, trained by their once a year familiarization fire experience of one mag. Looking for intruders on a dark ship, running around with M-14s, 12 gauges, and 1911s. In a ship with steel bulkheads, overheads, and decks. Right....please don't discharge your gun!"
Hilarious! I always dreaded conducting annual Fam Fire. Nothing like some city slicker with a 1911, limp-wristed, not anticipating the recoil and allowing the weapon to have it's own way!

·
Registered
353 Posts
First off Rick, I hope you, your family, your home and your stuff are OK and unharmed. It leaves you a bit shaken. Share the background if/when you feel so inclined.

I have little formal training and the real deal diverts so much blood and adrenaline that your reactions and fine motor skills can be diminished, as you know already.
There is always more stuff and it can be replaced or got over. If they want to steal I guess I wait it out after calling 911. They'll likely grab the guitars. Cameras.

I watch the panels throughout the home for motion detectors to tell me where it's happening. I secure my wife in the agreed on spot and take up my position. I will not looking for them. They'll leave or come to me. They will not reach my wife's safe spot if I have any say in it.

The advantage is that the intruders are NOT expecting to encounter anything more than a golf club or heavy vase.

Since handguns are the exception in Canada I inform the police that I am armed and will attempt to subdue the intruders only if they enter the room we are in. I tell them where we are and not to enter until it's clear, and to state clearly who they are and give me a good visual. No smashing in the door at high speed.

If I accidentally take the intruder out permanently, I will spend my life in jail, but my wife will be OK.

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
I live on a small farm in rural Missouri and our house is secluded with no neighbor’s insight. Being so far back from the road I have made up my mind that I am on my own for at least fifteen minutes or so until a sheriffs deputy can get there. I had an intruder on my property not too long ago that I had to deal with that proved my point. My wife was on the porch having her morning coffee and I was upstairs getting dressed when something prompted me to look outside. There was a bare chested guy standing there staring at my barn. I was in my undershorts but I didn’t take the time to get dressed because at the time I didn’t know where my wife was. I stepped out on our balcony with my 1911 hidden behind my leg and asked him what he wanted. He said he just wanted a drink of water out of our barn faucet. I told him to go ahead and get a drink and then leave. My wife heard me talking and came upstairs and I signaled for her to call 911. After his drink he systematically coiled our hose neatly and stowed it away. I watched him walk away into the timber when the first deputy arrived. We could hear him talking to someone and the deputy went after him. He put him in the patrol car but told us that he couldn’t really charge him except to give him a warning about trespassing. We had some timber cutters on the place who weren’t working that day so we called them and told them to check their equipment. They found a backpack with hypodermic syringes and needles lying on a stump. The deputy came back and took the backpack with the explanation that the guy was probably casing the equipment for possible theft.
We have a lot of thieves working our area nowadays and they are going unchecked. We have a catch and release program here in Franklin County that I think is encouraging this activity. If they commit a non violent crime they are released on bond until their trial date which is probably a year away.
I respectfully disagree with those that believe in keeping their house lit. Some night while your family is going about their activities go outside and walk around your house and see how easy it is to see exactly what they are doing. I don’t believe in dusk to dawn lighting either. All you are doing is providing a thief lighting to go about there business without detection. If they are around my house with a flashlight I can see it.

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
Rick,
Great question, difficult to answer. Proper training and practice will be the key to success. Negotiating and clearing a building is a difficult task, as others (in particular the Chief) have pointed out. The advantage you would have is knowing your environment better than the invaders. Your mindset is there's at least one more than you see or hear.
There are good training institutes that provide correct instruction but they are advanced classes, thus requiring some basics first. Gunsite being one.
Vic

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have been fighting to answer this question myself. While I consider myself well trained by our great US Army, and have cameras covering all accessible doors and windows, the biggest problem is my effing kids. I CAN NOT make it sink in to their heads that if they hear something strange in the house STAY PUT IN YOUR EFFING ROOM! LEAVE IT TO DAD TO CHECK OUT!
Depending which room I am in will answer which handgun and knife I have access too the quickest. Keep the cameras streaming on my phone while going zone to zone with my ridgeback and my husky/shep scouting for me. But sure enough, every time there is so much as a dish readjusting itself in the sink, i have 3 little early-teen asswagons filling in from all directions of the house because "i thought i heard something and went to check it out".

Help?

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
I think the best thing is to be able to react quickly, but not over react. I knew a guy that was killed in a home invasion in Tucson. It's happening down here. So you may have 15 seconds to get armed. By the same token, you do NOT want to shoot someone by mistake, such as a lost drunk or goofball. We had one at our door one night about midnight, wanting help, said he had been beaten up on our quiet, country street. We talked through the locked screen door, called the cops, told him to wait in the street. Sorry, not taking any chances with something that unusual. Another time the doorbell rang about 2AM, it was a cop saying they'd gotten a 911 call from my house. Um...no...we're all here asleep, I left him outside, walked into my girls room and confimed they were asleep. He left.

I've always felt my superior marksmanship and fast reflexes would save me. But like the guy says above, when you get at arms length, in the dark, it's about being ready to pull the trigger and fight back hard if they grab you. Different thing. I prefer to be waiting in my room with a 12ga aimed at the door.

If you want to see some scary stuff, google "home intruder shooting" or such....it's increasingly caught on film.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.