Colt Forum banner

181 - 200 of 229 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,848 Posts
This is a 1917 Smith & Wesson. My dad went to a rest home and they didn't like him having it under his mattress. So I got it back.
May your dad have eternal rest!

·
Premium Member
3,848 Posts
Thanks! No problem, he was deeply christian. It was actually a blessing as he lived about 6 months too long with Alzheimer. He died about two months before his 90th. Picture of mom and dad evidently the day they got married.
Why was your mom smiling so much, or was dad just a serious kind of guy? ;)

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
Dad always was the great stone face. He seldom spoke but did have a good sense of humor. He was a great guy though. I never gave him trouble. You can see why. I never got a licking from him. Dad at 6 ft 5"s when people were a lot shorter than now at the same time worked at NOT intimidating others. But he did have a line never to be crossed. He said he quit school in 2nd grade! Said he got in a fight with the school teacher, walked home and that grandpa was fine with putting him to work on the biggest farm in the county. He was self educated. No one would ever have guessed that. He was the oldest of ten and had another seven older half brothers and sisters. He also liked guns, fishing and hunting. My mother bought out my grandpa`s large country general store as still a teenager and raised me and my sister and ran it alone during the war up until I was seven. She always worked at something even if it was running a vegetable and fruit stand on the road in front of our house or driving a truck full of stuff to various farm market days in surrounding towns.

·
Premium Member
3,848 Posts
Another hard looking picture of dad. I have many pictures of him but not one where he ever smiled. He to me, was the best though.

"Take the picture before the meat spoils!" Today what is it, 4 out of 10 have no dad? No wonder we are in such trouble.

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
Two kids in Hollywood were bickering. One says my dad can lick your dad. The other said my dad is your dad! To start with a huge percentage of kids are born out of wedlock. Then after that roughly 50% of marriages end in divorce where a huge percentage of the kids have stepfathers. After that it seems many more have failures for dad`s. It is no wonder there isn't respect for much of anything or anybody when you look at those odd`s. It`s a different age. Divorce is close to 50%. It`s a wonder ANY realistic person even considers marriage if they look at the odds. Happened to me too. Last Sunday I seen my daughter and family for the first time in a couple years and it was too many before that. She heard (not from me) I almost croaked over Christmas (two heart stents) and thought she better surprise me. It wasn't always like that. On dads side as I said a couple of posts above, dad had 16 brothers and sisters. NOT ONE of them got a divorce! I doubt one could find that repeated in today's world.

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #190 (Edited)
Another left me by my Dad --

From my earliest memory, 1930s, every couple years he went to Alabama to look after the family estate. Again, 1960s, visiting his aged aunt, talking old times, recalled ca. 1910 cousin coming back from Texas with a 'brace' of big pistols. Old Auntie says "yes I still have one of them -- would you like to have it? He bought it back home to Oklahoma with a paper bag of half a box of .38-40 ----->

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
I had not seen this ol' zombie since around 2015, and I cannot believe I did not post some pics at the time.
Then, in assessing the time frame, found that the technology was not available at the time. It is now.
So, y'all can expect some old iron to pop up on here from time to time.

Colt DA .38 model 1899(19020), kinda ratty, beat up, some broken innards, still shoots, cheap.
Needs a better ratchet pawl spring.

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Chances are the pitting and etching on this 1902 Military were due to poor storage vice "been there, done that",
but since it was one of the Army contract guns it probably did see a bit of use back in the day...
still in great shape mechanically though.

I have another "nail-file" 1902 with 0.0 finish (and a lot of wear) that is the designated shooter.
That one had a blown barrel and was missing a few parts when I got it...

Attachments

·
Registered
309 Posts
Another "mud puppy" followed me home today. A retired LEO Belgian Browning Hi Power, shows quite a bit of carry wear, but clean inside with a very nice bore. Tight, with a clean but heavy trigger. I think this one is gonna get sand blasted and then blued. The paint they use makes the gun look worse in photos, the paint is pitted but the metal looks good.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Here's one that's cheap and ugly but is one of my most prized guns. Belonged to my Grandfather; he carried it during Prohibition, and no he wasn't on the side of law and order. First gun I ever shot. Worthless to anyone but me but the memories and stories it evokes are priceless.

H & R top break, .38 S & W

P7300409.JPG

KNO[SUB]3[/SUB]

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
I've got a little old single-shot flintlock from the early 1800's. The smiths believe it is a Belgian/French copy of an English Pocket Pistol. No barrel markings or proofs. Makes you wonder who carried this thing around. A navy guy, or pirate carrying it in his boot? A farmer on the frontier keeping it for emergencies? A madame in a seedy brothel kept it under her pillow? Crazy. If these guns could talk, eh'? Feels in great shape. Like i could load a mini ball and fire it right now...

181 - 200 of 229 Posts