Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
Colt 1911 Gold Cups The best ever made
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1) Python--It has that finish that will never again be duplicated. We should understand that Colt will never ever make anything else comparable. You can not pay too much for one.

2) Diamondback--It's almost equal to the Python.

3) 357 Magnum. It's a special version of The Trooper.

3) Detective Special--It has the same comparable finish but not yet recognized by the market. This is the bargain now:

4) The Trooper--It is obviously perfect. It had everything. It was designed to be a heavy duty version of the Police Special.

5) Police Positive--It's a beauty while still being an inexpensive alternative. My favorite is the Police Positive Target.

I am just saying. There are very many nice old hand-built Colt revolvers around at good prices. You can't go wrong by buying the best one that you can find. They were all made by Colt craftsman 40-50 years ago.

They are worth more than gold at today's prices.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Wow. I don't know where the OP got that "best" idea but the SAA is as well finished as the Python and the both of them are better finished than the other Colts he listed. Guess he just likes them "best."

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
missed the 3-5-7, saa, included the ds but not the pp? Colt made some fine revolvers so any list is going to be incomplete, unless you name them all :)

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
missed the 3-5-7, saa, included the ds but not the pp? Colt made some fine revolvers so any list is going to be incomplete, unless you name them all :)
Hey rob, re-check the list....Number 3 ;)

Yes the SAA isn't listed but perhaps the title should be DA Swing Out Cylinder Colt Revolvers....then add a few like the Officer Model, Official Police and Police Positive Special....among a few :)

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
selective reading owned me. Thanks for the heads up :), apologies to OP.
Hey rob, re-check the list....Number 3 ;)

Yes the SAA isn't listed but perhaps the title should be DA Swing Out Cylinder Colt Revolvers....then add a few like the Officer Model, Official Police and Police Positive Special....among a few :)

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
vintage racer That model DS is sooo good looking,and I like the checkered walnut combat grips(stocks).

I agree that the rebound lever action Colts will never be made again.

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
I think the real sleepers are the officers models. They are still a great buy and they are every bit as nice as any python... IMOP anyways.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
All colt d frames. For style the python ,for rugged durability the mark 3 series,historically the best ,the saa.most underrated, mark 3 and the pre mark 3 troopers. The most shots fired for defense of life ,the official police

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
I do not find the MKIII durable at all. I have personally seen two with broken triggers. I personally have two on hand as spares for my one MKIII revolver.

·
The Consummate Collector
7,514 Posts
Vintage Racer. Well your list makes me smile. You are obviously talking about the post war Colt revolvers or have never really handled a pre war model. The workmanship on the pre war revolvers will probably never be equaled. This was a time when true craftsman assembled and hand fit each gun. It's like comparing a production gun to a custom Nighthawk, Les Baer or Jimmy Clark.

·
Premium Member
2,079 Posts
Whenever I see what people are paying for Pythons (which I like and do not even know how many I have), it just inspires me to hunt for a nice New Service....classic, built like the offspring of a Rolex and a Sherman tank, very underrated, and when you look at current Python prices, they are the classic six gun bargain on the century.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Vintage Racer,

How are you defining "Best"? Best in quality build?; best as far as accuracy?; best in innovation?; best back-up/conceal?; best law enforcement?; best in historic significance?; best what????

The answer is completely subjective. In some ways, the Patterson would be the best because everything sprang from there.

My very subjective list: SAA, Python, Shooting Master.

I have to disagree about your inclusion of the Diamondback on your list. I've never understood the interest in this gun. Back in the mid '70s to early '80s I managed a large retail gun shop, and later worked with a major S&W distributor and warranty center, we sold lots of Colts and lots of Smiths. I never saw a whole lot of passion about the db while it was still in production. It was just sort of pimped out Detective Special; a wanna-be Python, too large to conceal, and not a great target gun. IMO (and I know strongly disagreed with by many) the Diamondback was just an expensive plinker that Colt built to take advantage of the sexy look of the and appeal of the Python.

Best regards,

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Impossible question!

There are differing ways in which something can be thought of as 'best' or being the best.

All the big frame Colts of the 19th Century fit the Bill to my mind...from the Walkers on.

As do all the Colt Revolvers 'period,' of early to mid 20th Century.

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
The original post seemed to have finish as it's theme. While I love my 1977 vintage Python, the finish is nothing to write home about. It is polished alright, but the markings show over buffing, dishing them out.

The finish we will never see again are the pre 1914 pistols with the high polish charcoal blue finish. They were absolutely mirror like with a blue you could almost look down into. The first of the Model 1911 pistols received by the military were so bright and reflective that Colt was ask to make the finish duller.

Even this Model 1909 Revolver shows the craftsmanship Colt put into even a military pistol. It was shipped 104 years ago directly from Colt to the Philippines.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
The original post seemed to have finish as it's theme. While I love my 1977 vintage Python, the finish is nothing to write home about. It is polished alright, but the markings show over buffing, dishing them out.

The finish we will never see again are the pre 1914 pistols with the high polish charcoal blue finish. They were absolutely mirror like with a blue you could almost look down into. The first of the Model 1911 pistols received by the military were so bright and reflective that Colt was ask to make the finish duller.

Even this Model 1909 Revolver shows the craftsmanship Colt put into even a military pistol. It was shipped 104 years ago directly from Colt to the Philippines.

Yup...just as that!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts