Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1159 Posts

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
"Official Vintage Movie Firearm Discussion"

per mitch's criteria..
this is the thread to discuss old movies with firearms.

i'll start it off with a borderline vintage movie but without a doubt my favorite western..
sam peckinpah's "pat garrett and billy the kid".

peckinpah was more in tune with accuracy in his films than most other hollywood directors although I'm sure he pulled the artistic license thing and made some mistakes too.
colts, Winchesters, and that double barrel shotgun loaded with dimes :eek:

second in line, the wild bunch. Winchester 97s and 1911 pistols and that stolen gatling gun! although I seem to remember someone saying that they weren't real 1911s.
I'm short on time regarding researching it right now, anyone have the answer to that? :confused:

·
Registered
7,250 Posts
M1911.org did a similar thread titled IIRC; 1911s in Movies.

So I will start off.
I recorded a movie with Glen Ford titled "The Big Heat." Well rated for the genre.' In the opening scene a character that sets the plot in motion, has a Detective Special laying on his desk. Other guns in the flick are a Smith & Wesson snubbie, and I think Ford's character carries the Colt D. S.
In the finale Ford shoots it out with Lee Marvin who uses a Luger, but in the 1950's all bad guys used the Luger. Neither one of them ran out of ammo.

If you catch a viewing of this one I recommend it, typical but pretty well done IMO.

·
Registered
793 Posts
There wasn't a Gatling Gun in "The Wild Bunch". They used a Browning Model 1917. The use of the Browning would have been an anachronism, since the movie setting was pre-The Great War, set around the time of the Mexican Incursion (Pancho Villa raid). Had the MG been a Vicker's or Maxim, it would have been more authentic.

There's been a lot of discussion in regards to "The Wild Bunch" using Model 1911's. At the time, ca. 1912, there were very few 1911's in use in the U.S. Army, so Pike's gang using them may be something of a stretch. However, the dialogue in the movie mentions the fact that the 1911 can't be obtained by civilians, indicating they were probably stolen. There were also Star Model D's, very anachronistic, since they were produced until ca. 1944.

Reactions: ei8ht

·
Registered
923 Posts
I watch "The Wild Bunch" at least twice a year there is no Gatling gun in it, water cooled browning machine gun. I biggest beef is the '03 rifles are ww2 03a3s, Pike wears a ww2 shoulder holster. I read somewhere they had to use Star 9mms because of blank issues. Crazy Lee uses a model 12. I can recite most of the lines from the movie, and use them in everyday conversation if I can. like, "why the hell don't you go to hell"

·
Registered
8,688 Posts
We've all rolled our eyes at Winchester 92s used in post Civil War set westerns. but the reverse happens in "Broken Trail" with Robert Duvall. But these aren't mistakes, it's something else. The movie is set in 1898 and instead of using Winchester 92s, EVERYONE used Model 66s and 73s! They use rifles that should have been used in those other westerns. I know 66 and 73 Winchesters were still popular, but I just think they had an opportunity to show Win. model 1886, 92, 94, 95, Marlins, etc. Again, not mistakes, just kind of ironic, or something, to me. Good movie, though. Except Thomas Hayden Church has no front sight on his 66 carbine the entire film.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
my bad on the gatling gun comment :bang_wall:

you guys are right. I was on my way out the door and decided to start this thread in a spur of the moment without thinking it through :eek:

·
Registered
9,292 Posts
In "The Commancheros" with John Wayne and Stuart Whitman, the movie takes place in the 1840s yet the Duke carries a SAA plus many Winchesters are evident. At that time even Colt Pattersons would be uncommon and single-shot pistols the norm.

It's a movie, I know...and many, many movies are very inaccurate in such ways...just suspend belief and enjoy them for what they are. I doubt if many moviegoers have a clue about what equipment is correct anyway in the show...they just want to be entertained. Most directors and producers will use what's available in the prop department or from outside suppliers with little concern outside keeping costs down.

I will say "McClintock" has period correct Krag Carbines shown being stolen and passed out when the Indians break into the train car.

·
Registered
7,250 Posts
The Winchester Model 1892 rifles weren't just post Civil War. In the movie Alvarez Kelly the union troops are shooting 1892's at the Confederates stealing cattle.
In Major Dundee they at least took the forearms off so they resembled the Henry Rifles. But they actually used 1860 Colt revolvers with the conversions, which was almost period correct.

·
Premium Member
825 Posts
What did Barney carry??
"THE bullet"! We live just South of Mt. Airy and go up there every once in a while. Nice shops and their Autumn Leaves Festival is lots of fun. We were in Snappy Lunch one time, having a porkchop sandwich (they're great!) when the local guy who plays a deputy came in. I asked to see "THE bullet" and he whipped it right out! Got a big laugh from nearby customers.

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
This one of mine may qualify for this discussion: 12-stop Richards, supposedly once owned by the actor Ray Milland and used by him in the movie 'California' from 1946 I believe. Came with letter from former owner who supposedly got it from Milland. I dunno, but the story is not the reason I bought it.

·
Premium Member
3,333 Posts
How about these from Shane. I love this movie and the guns that were in it. Here you go :

Single Action ArmyShane (Alan Ladd) uses a 7 1/2" Single Action Army Cavalry with a nickel finish and ivory grips as his sidearm in the film. Jack Wilson (Jack Palance) carries two Colt SAA's, and several characters use them as well. Joe Starrett (Van Heflin) takes out an ivory handled Colt double-action when he's about to go after Ryker. Stonewall says that he will start using his .38, but when we see him use his gun, it's a Colt SAA.

Colt Single Action Army 7 1/2" Cavalry - .45 Long Colt.[/LEFT]

Good shot of the ivory (actually plastic) grips.[/LEFT]

Shane draws his SAA.[/LEFT]

Shane empties his SAA.[/LEFT]

Good side shot of the SAA. Note front sight is missing.[/LEFT]

Jack Wilson (Jack Palance) carries two Colt SAA's in dual holsters as he confronts Stonewall.[/LEFT]

Wilson kills Stonewall.[/LEFT]

Closeup Joe Starrett (Van Heflin) loading up his Colt 1877 double action in .38 Long.[/LEFT]

Shane kills Ryker.[/LEFT]

Winchester Model 1873Ryker's brother is seen walking upstairs to stay hidden and armed with a Winchester Model 1873.

Winchester Model 1873 carbine - 1st generation rifle - 44-40 Cal.[/LEFT]

Ryker's brother is seen armed with a Winchester Model 1873.[/LEFT]

Stevens CrackshotJoey Starrett (Brandon De Wilde) carries a .22 rimfire Stevens Crackshot around to play with, but his father won't give him any rounds for it because he is too young. When Joey works the lever while Shane is there, he whips around, ready to draw his pistol before realizing the situation.

Stevens Crackshot Rifle - .22LR[/LEFT]

Joey aims his Stevens Crackshot rifle at a deer.[/LEFT]

Joey works the lever.[/LEFT]

Good shot of the rifle.[/LEFT]

12 Gauge Double Barrel ShotgunWhen Joe Starrett (Van Heflin) talks to Morgan Ryker about meeting his brother Rufus he is seen carrying a double barrel shotgun.

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

Flintlock RiflesSeveral Flintlock rifles are hung up in the town bar.

[/LEFT]

Better shot of the rifle shown above.[/LEFT]

1 - 20 of 1159 Posts