Colt Forum banner

1081 - 1100 of 1150 Posts

·
Registered
7,211 Posts
Almost DVR'ed Bullit but did DVR The Getaway.
1911's and Python's in this one.
If you watch The Getaway carefully there is one scene in the final shoot out where the movie gun is a Colt MKIII instead of Rudy's Python.

·
Registered
8,633 Posts
Here's a real good video of the Bullitt filming locations then and now. It might be more interesting if you're familiar with the area. I've bounced over the same streets of S.F. a lot with my parents as a kid and then later driving around with with friends. I haven't watched this in a while but I think we see that green VW a lot that's always getting in front of them. The guy even manages to photoshop, or vidshop himself into the scenes including himself in bed with Bullitt's girlfriend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhSDAxgLgho

·
Registered
8,633 Posts
Almost DVR'ed Bullit but did DVR The Getaway.
1911's and Python's in this one.
If you watch The Getaway carefully there is one scene in the final shoot out where the movie gun is a Colt MKIII instead of Rudy's Python.
Yes. For some reason "Rudy" all of a sudden had a Trooper instead of a Python at the end. As usual, McQueen handles a gun like he really knows how just like everything mechanical he uses in movies.

·
Registered
8,633 Posts
Here's a real good documentary about early western films with interviews I never seen before with Tim McCoy, Yakima Canutt, John Wayne and many others. Great old footage of Accord, Mix, Hart, etc. In the very early films from like 1913 here, the clothing and sets were probably just like it was then anyway since the wild west was still wild in AZ., Texas, Oklahoma and other places.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLuigo4yqjw

·
Registered
369 Posts
Was Steve McQueen carrying a Diamondback with Detective Special grips???
Yes. According to movie trivia info out there, McQueen's character was partially based on real-life San Francisco Police Inspector Dave Toschi, the chief detective on the Zodiac killer case. McQueen had Toschi's upside-down shoulder holster copied for the film. I've not seen who exactly decided to swap the grips, but there's a good chance either the police consultants or armorer suggested it, to make it more concealable for a plain-clothes inspector.

Here's a picture of Toschi, look closely at his rig:

Some other trivia:

-I think this is one of Robert Vaughn's best performances. Initially he didn't want to be in it, thinking the script was weak and poor plot. McQueen insisted, and finally he agreed after the studio offered him enough money. Later on, Vaughn stated he thought the film turned out to be some of his best acting work.
-Everyone remembers the chase scene, but anyone from San Francisco (like me) knows that it jumps all over the city. Some filming locations are still around, such as Vaughn's house, McQueen's apartment, and even the Safeway supermarket in the Marina district that the cars pass twice.
-The hitman uses a cut-down Winchester 1897 take-down model. I still want one.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I don't think Jacquelin Bisset has any bad angles to view her from.

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
Yep, I saw it was on TCM so no commercials, so I watched it yet again. Love the yellow ford in a few scenes too, I think it's a Galaxy. My first car was a 1967 Ford Fairlane 500, and I always notice 66-67 fords with the stacked headlights.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
My Bullit DVD wth is it?- will watch it tonight.

Yep-"The Getaway" is another great movie! McQueen sure as hell knew how to handle a .45, the movie also featured the Python and a Colt hammerless .380?

Its a punch in the jaw shock how different American movies are today- only 1-2 good ones come out every year, its quite sad.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Speaking of McQueen, he was a big-time gun guy who collected Marlin 39s...and supposedly had a small underground range in his LA mansion just to shoot them. My source is Vic Perez, who apprenticed under Andy Anderson and Arvo Ojala. Vic stated that McQueen liked good leather and would stop by the shop to see what was new. He loved the smell of leather in the shop.
Bob

·
Registered
369 Posts
Love the yellow ford in a few scenes too, I think it's a Galaxy. My first car was a 1967 Ford Fairlane 500, and I always notice 66-67 fords with the stacked headlights.
You mean the taxicab driven by Robert Duvall? That's a 1967 Ford Custom. It's basically the economy version of the Galaxie; most went to police departments and taxi companies, although you could buy one as a regular car too. Everyone remembers the Charger and Mustang from the movie, but someday I want to find a '67 Custom and have it painted and finished just like the taxicab in Bullitt. I think that would be a fun one to take to shows.

·
Registered
12,847 Posts
I happened to have been there when they were filming part of it.

I had a Lunch event at the Mark Hopkins, and one of their Film Cars and some of the Crew were present out front and I stopped to talk with them.

Film Car was a 1920s Rolls Royce Phaeton with the back seat out, and a large Frame Mount with Motion Picture Camera on it, they said the old Car was great for being so smooth, and that was why they were using it.

No idea if one could look this up, but, it was pretty cool.

1081 - 1100 of 1150 Posts