Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Chicago, December 16, 1872 saw the premier of ‘The Scouts of the Prairie’ staring from left to right, Ned Buntline, Buffalo Bill Cody, Giuseppina Morlacchi (who would become Mrs. Texas Jack), Texas Jack Omohundro. The Chicago papers weren't as impressed as the public. One of the better reviews was " Everything was so wonderfully bad that it was almost good." The South was much kinder to the troupe. Here are reviews from the Old Dominion, my neck of the woods.

Richmond Enquirer, May 15, 1873: "Ned Buntline and his two confreres, Cody and Omohundro, better known as "Buffalo Bill" and "Texas Jack" with their "Live Indians," drew another good house…The way the Scouts handle their navy revolvers is the main secret of their success…the handsome appearance made by these two gentlemen.. represent in a measure, real scenes of which they have been the actual heroes…"

Norfolk Journal, May 18, 1873: "Buffalo Bill, Texas Jack, Ned Buntline and their "Ingins" filled the Opera House last night with one of the largest audiences ever assembled within its walls. The crowning piece of the night, that which excited the juveniles to the wildest demonstrations of delight, was Ned Buntline’s famous blood and thunder drama of The Scouts of the Prairie…whenever Texas Jack and Buffalo Bill appeared on the stage, the audience cheered and applauded lustily…Buffalo Bill and Texas Jack are fine looking men, and have that certain daredevil look and manner that we have always been led to attribute to the western hunters and scouts. The performance was in every way worthy of the fame of the gentlemen who conduct it.".

·
Premium Member
3,111 Posts
Yes, Mr. Buntline is totally rockin’ those curls! That surprised me too, might not have been quite the Frontiersman we thought. Most surprising one to me is Baby Face Buffalo Bill, looks like he’s Buntline’s grandson. Texas Jack looks like the Real Deal to me :).

·
Premium Member
7,395 Posts
He looks like late 50’s to 60’s around the eyes. Even if younger, he’s got the world’s best hair for a man if it’s real !! My bangs started turning skin color years ago. :)

Cool pic . The Mrs. is very lovely, I agree. I can imagine how big a deal that must’ve have been to the public for entertainment. Especially since fascination of the Frontier came to life instantly and seems to be immortal.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I can't, (at the moment anyway) remember reading about Texas Jack, but he does look like the real thing. I do remember reading about, "Buffalo Bill" and his early years as being a scout for the Army and that the Remington revolver was his favored side arm of the percussion era at least. All I've read of Mr. Buntline was that he was a B.S. artist first class. I believe Buntline would have been in his 50's in that photo.

·
Premium Member
3,111 Posts
Well how about that, Texas Jack was a Rural Virginia Boy! No wonder I immediately took a liking to him :). He was a confederate soldier too, possibly served with my Great Great Great Grandfather who was a POW and was said to have been present for Lee’s surrender at Appomattox. He was supposed to have been held nearby and they brought the POWs out for the surrender. Don’t know if it’s in the “Union” history books but it’s in the Appalachian mountain “books”. The Victors get to write the history books. I think Lincoln’s and Sherman’s “legacy” is proof of that. Napoleon once said, “What is History, but a fable agreed upon?”.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,729 Posts
Buffalo Bill and Texas Jack were both the Real Deal.

Cody WAS the plains Army's preferred scout and did some extremely dangerous and heroic missions that other scouts turned down.

He did engage in a man to man battle with an Indian chief that famously took place in full view of both Indians and Cavalry.
Bill stated that he won because after both hit ground after their horses were shot out from under them Cody just got a shot off with his 1873 Winchester first.

"Buntline" was a straight BS artist and fake, but he did make Cody, Wild Bill Hickok, and to a lesser extent Texas Jack famous.
Of the three, Texas Jack was almost lost to history until writers in the 20th Century began to unearth details of his life.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts