Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After falling, yesterday, into the best Peacemaker 22 at the best price that is in my Colt collection of Peacemaker 22's...
today I walk into the LGS and find a Peacemaker 22LR 6" barrel that is the perfect for shooting instead of looking at. little wear at the muzzle on left side and little "patina" in the case hardening around the hammer, think its had some new grips but the are fitted well. The price wasn't near as good as yesterday of course since it is a gun store, but being as it is missing the 22mag cylinder and no box, the price was much better than it could have been .. I did the smart thing though- traded the Ruger LCR 22mag and $200 and the gunshop included a 525 count box of rounds and gave me a pistol case (the pistol case has the Ruger emblem embroidered on the other side.. kind of ironic with the trade and its actually really padded well) since I wasn't anticipating buying a gun... I didn't try to figure out too much, I wanted it in typical Colt-aholic fashion.. been trying to get a Python paid for. guess I'm almost starting over after the last two days. posted some close-up photos in the photo section.

:bang_wall:

Registered
Very nice .One of the most fun to shoot revolvers ever .Have said it before , Colt is nuts not to make these again. I have a pr of 6 inchers and love the feel and balance . Everyone who owns a SAA should have one. By the way ,for not a whole lot , Colt will re caseharden these. I had one done a year ago and it looks great.Enjoy

Premium Member
I too like the 6 in. the best. I have had my 4 2/5 since new in 1977 and have shot it a lot. The case hardening is no longer bright and crisp. If it were myself, I would put a coat of wax on the case hardening of your gun.

Registered
I like your new revolver, but I have to say I'm really impressed by that box of 525 rounds of .22 ammo you got for $25.50! Here in Occupied Northern Virginia .22 is very hard to find and when found I've seen it sell for anywhere from $5 to $14 a box of 50 rounds. Seriously.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Lawman for the tip. I have a New Frontier 22mag in 6" bought two years ago that the case hardening looks much more faded. I would really like to get both of these guns case hardening re-done.
Mustango,
I just had a vacation trip last week from Eastern NC up to PA and back with a stop in Fredricksburg walmart and Bass Pro shop in Va Beach area. walmart looked shelves looked bare like they all do..Bass Pro actually had some 50 round boxes limit 2 . price okay. I gave one of mine to the neighbor for taking my trash can to the curb and back while we were gone. He was tickled as the Camel on Humpday (commercial) over that 3 dollar box of bullets.

Registered
Colt should make it in the full size frame so they won't need to retool the hole gun.

Reactions: what would you say

Registered
I have a few New Frontiers in all barrel lengths from 7 & 1/2 down. My shooter was a non-pristine 4.4" with both cylinders [all of my collection have both except the last mod. with the cross bolt safety] When I got my shooter it was not bad but "patina " on the color case, and worst of all a butchered front sight.I finally got tired of that and bought a "parts gun" to get a front sight. I took the works up to Bob Cogan at AP&W to do the front sight swap. He talked me into having the gun hard chromed to avoid the hassels of re-bluing and case hardening. At first, as a traditionalist, I didn't like it but,like a good woman that doesn't look like a movie star ,she grew on me and is my favorite "go to the woods" messin' around gun. Shucks you can't hurt the finish short of layin' it on a railroad track.Do I need to say Bob was right and I love it? Well..... no,but thanks Bob! Nick

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I like your new revolver, but I have to say I'm really impressed by that box of 525 rounds of .22 ammo you got for $25.50! Here in Occupied Northern Virginia .22 is very hard to find and when found I've seen it sell for anywhere from $5 to $14 a box of 50 rounds. Seriously.
This box with the Colt purchase came from behind the counter stash. The Gunshop is one of the largest in the US and there are no 22LR on the shelves. They will have 50 round boxes out that disappear in a day. They have to stash for the obvious reason of providing to gun buying customers. They are not just selling it to buddies either. Very strict that they have some for gun buyers. I have seen an employee buying 22LR at another sporting goods shop right in front of me at Neuse sporting goods. I was in line behind him and inquired...they had no more. So your buying the last brick of 22LR in front of a customer? wow. Guess he needs it too though.

Registered
Colt will not do a full size version. USFA did it and it was a nice but unsuccessful revolver. Too heavy and more importantly ,too expenisive. What Colt should do is either get frames barrels and cylinders from Uberti, or have US Cast steel frames ,barrels and cylinders made, fit them with saa full size backstraps and triggerguards ,like Ruger does with the Single Six ,caseharden them like the old Peacemakers. They could probably cut the cost to 2/3 of a full size revolver. They may not sell a lot ,but they will sell everyone they make

1 - 9 of 9 Posts