Colt Forum banner

"The Colt is superior..."

862 Views 16 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  convertible06
I saw this old advertisement and thought it worth posting here. And it's fun to look at. This is Colt justifiably tooting its own horn. And unlike other advertisements of the day, there isn't anything in this ad that isn't true. This goes along with my conviction that there's no other handgun that is so closely interwoven with this country's history than Colt pistols and revolvers.

See less See more
  • Love
Reactions: 5
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Is it somewhat anomalous that it's an A1 frame yet flat MSH and mag-loop, big front sight?

Of course, it does say "U.S. Government" and not US Military so maybe there's something there?

Artistic license or was this maybe something back in Colt's past? Regardless, cool advertisement and it must have really been something to toot one's own horn like this black then.
  • Helpful
Reactions: 1
The Colt is superior. I agree with that message.
Reactions: 4
Colt has been my #1 choice...10 times:

Colt Model M 1903 Type II Pocket Hammerless circa 1909

Colt Model M 1908 Pocket Hammerless...circa 1920

Colt Model N 1908 Vest Pocket...circa 1923

Colt Detective Special...circa 1939
Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

Colt Agent with Factory Hammer Shroud...circa 1975
Revolver Gun barrel Trigger Gun accessory Watch

Colt 1862 Pocket Navy {Gen 2}...circa 1980

Colt Gold Cup National Match...circa 1995

Colt 1873 Single Action Army...circa 2008

Colt LE6940 M4 Carbine...circa 2012

Colt Cobra circa 2022...

See less See more
  • Love
Reactions: 5

Colt Model M 1903 Type II Pocket Hammerless circa 1909

Colt Model M 1908 Pocket Hammerless...circa 1920

Colt Model N 1908 Vest Pocket...circa 1923

Colt Detective Special...circa 1939
Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

Colt Agent with Factory Hammer Shroud...circa 1975
Revolver Gun barrel Trigger Gun accessory Watch

Colt 1862 Pocket Navy {Gen 2}...circa 1980

Colt Gold Cup National Match...circa 1995

Colt 1873 Single Action Army...circa 2008

Colt LE6940 M4 Carbine...circa 2012

Colt Cobra circa 2022...

Love your collection shooter13 very nice
  • Helpful
Reactions: 2
A wonderfully rounded example of Colt-patronage to be sure!
Reactions: 3
"Just adopted by the U.S. Government..." Bad ad copy.

Why? They US Government adopted the 1873 Springfield Trapdoor 38 years prior and got plenty of US Army soldiers killed on the frontier, even though much better rifles were in existence and proven to work. The 1892 Springfield rifle was not much better.

Low bid is loved by Contracting Officers and damned by those who live and die as end users.

Thank goodness the M1911 turned out to be the exception rather than the rule of Army Ordnance.
Is it somewhat anomalous that it's an A1 frame yet flat MSH and mag-loop, big front sight?

Of course, it does say "U.S. Government" and not US Military so maybe there's something there?

Artistic license or was this maybe something back in Colt's past? Regardless, cool advertisement and it must have really been something to toot one's own horn like this black then.
I noticed all that after I鈥檇 posted it, and I was like, 鈥淯h-oh.鈥 So my thinking is now that it isn鈥檛 an 鈥渙ld鈥 ad at all. It鈥檚 a decent facsimile, until you begin looking closely at it.

But the message is still valid. Colt is superior.
More in the style of a historic novel. Accurate on a historic level, but less so in the presentation. Entertaining nonetheless.
Colt is superior.
I would agree, depending on what year it was made.
Retro-artistic license notwithstanding, fun to see. :)
I will agree, it has always been my opinion and many a Colt stands ready for duty in my hands and on standby in my safe. The only other brand at the ready are my Springfield military rifles from WW1 and 2.

So yea, Colt is my first choice followed by USGI issued rifles by Springfield.

Thanks for the ad posting.
Sometimes the artist got carried away, and in this case showed too much highlight behind the trigger. On some of the later advertising which was still hand drawn, the right side slide markings were shown on the left side as only one view was used.
Sometimes the artist got carried away, and in this case showed too much highlight behind the trigger. On some of the later advertising which was still hand drawn, the right side slide markings were shown on the left side as only one view was used.
Gotta agree with you.
Colt may have been tooting their own horn in that add, but justifiably I think. And that's just part of the reason that I've found it hard to part with my 2 remaining Colts. I still have my one owner Colt Python as well as my 1951 Colt Commander 9mm luger. I did sell my Colt Govt. Model 45 some months back... kind of regretting that decision now.
See less See more
Mine is the best shooter I have. Drops right back into place after each round. A real button holer. It鈥檚 got ambi safety鈥檚, proper hammer, trigger and sights.
See less See more
1 - 17 of 17 Posts