Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was visiting a friend and we got to talking guns, unusual in many parts of Canada. After a bit he wandered off and brought out a NIB, unfired Colt New Frontier in 45, second generation. 7 1/2 barrel.The case colouring was beautiful, the blueing top of class, the fit outstanding. You see relatively few of these up my way, and few standard SAAs either for that matter.

Now if this was not a flat top with adjustable sights it would be a gun that went for some pretty major coin. Being a New Frontier is goes for less than half, maybe $1500 US on a good day, $2000 Canadian. As I held the gun this seemed so odd to me. The power of the movies, of the original look. I mean there WAS a flat top target version way back in the day too, so it's not a modern hash up. They existed along side the other format. People just didn't want them when production restarted on the SAA. They'd get a Ruger for way less if they wanted that sort of set up I am guessing. I mean this was the ultimate revolver in the 60s and 70s. From a purely practical viewpoint, if you are shooting the damn thing, it's a BETTER set up. But nope - it's the ugly step sister.

Needless to say for those of you who like them this is great news, and you quietly buy them, shoot them and enjoy them. At some point there will be way less of this format and the prices will climb. Anyway, the New Frontier is now on my wish list and represents my opportunity to own a legend. The Colt SAA experience for a fraction of the cost, and if I want to strain my eyes I have a Frontier Scout, a Cimmaron and several Piettas to squint into.

When my wife was out of earshot I put up a trial balloon about whether it might be for sale.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Post: what was NOT top class was the wood used on the grips. Must be like Harley mufflers. They assume you will replace them.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I was visiting a friend and we got to talking guns, unusual in many parts of Canada. After a bit he wandered off and brought out a NIB, unfired Colt New Frontier in 45, second generation. 7 1/2 barrel.The case colouring was beautiful, the blueing top of class, the fit outstanding. You see relatively few of these up my way, and few standard SAAs either for that matter.

Now if this was not a flat top with adjustable sights it would be a gun that went for some pretty major coin. Being a New Frontier is goes for less than half, maybe $1500 US on a good day, $2000 Canadian. As I held the gun this seemed so odd to me. The power of the movies, of the original look. I mean there WAS a flat top target version way back in the day too, so it's not a modern hash up. They existed along side the other format. People just didn't want them when production restarted on the SAA. They'd get a Ruger for way less if they wanted that sort of set up I am guessing. I mean this was the ultimate revolver in the 60s and 70s. From a purely practical viewpoint, if you are shooting the damn thing, it's a BETTER set up. But nope - it's the ugly step sister.

Needless to say for those of you who like them this is great news, and you quietly buy them, shoot them and enjoy them. At some point there will be way less of this format and the prices will climb. Anyway, the New Frontier is now on my wish list and represents my opportunity to own a legend. The Colt SAA experience for a fraction of the cost, and if I want to strain my eyes I have a Frontier Scout, a Cimmaron and several Piettas to squint into.

When my wife was out of earshot I put up a trial balloon about whether it might be for sale.

I purchase a new COLT SA FRONTIER IN THE 60's with a 51/2" barrel in 357 cal. and walnut grips, and always liked it, but for some reason it was not liked very much, something like the 928 PORSCHE GTS 1995 that I have.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I forgot to mention my NEW FRONTIER is also NIB the walnut grips are nice but needed a better finish which I did. Also made one peace burl walnut grips and one peace MOP grips for it. As of now I'm having it engraved.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I must admit that I thought this post might lead to an interesting discussion, but maybe its been done to death years ago. Or you guys are quietly buying them up.

Looks like it might be joining me soon. If so i will post pics.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I’d be interested in a well put together NF with a 4.75” barrel, other than that I’d prefer that Colt produce a version of the original flat top targets.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts