Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
The Consummate Collector
7,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many of you know, I have a love affair going with the Colt New Service & Shooting Master. In looking at the opening page of the Colt Revolver section I am pleased to see 12 different postings on these revolvers.

I guess it is still doing quite well in the popularity contest.

Let's see your New Service’s

Colt Shooting Master . 45 ACP

Colt DA 1917 just found a new home

New Service - early pearl grips with medallion from 1912

Colt US Army 1917

Colt New Service in 45 Colt - In Need of Original Hard Rubber Grips

New Service 44 Special Colombia Policia?

1909 Re-do yes/no?

New Service .357 (1940) Battle of Britain

Another New Service added to the stable:

Finally picked-up a New Service.

Colt New Service shipped to the Royal Canadian Navy in 1941

Cam

·
Registered
396 Posts
Cam,
I really like the New Service. It is a joy to handle and to shoot... there is one other revovler that is on the same level. The pre-war S&W 357. It probaly is tiny bit better made...but the Colt looks better.
Peter

·
Registered
477 Posts
The S&W Prewar Outdoorsman and the Triple Lock !st Model Hand Ejector are the equivalent pinnacle of the competitor's revolver to the Colt SM

·
Registered
Colt SAA, Usfa SA, Std Mfg SA.
1,770 Posts
I would like to get a shooting master at some point. I don't know much about them but I'm learning. If it takes as long as it did to become comfortable purchasing 1st gen SAA's , then maybe in a year or two.

·
Registered
396 Posts
The S&W Prewar Outdoorsman and the Triple Lock !st Model Hand Ejector are the equivalent pinnacle of the competitor's revolver to the Colt SM
You are right! But I was thinking of a late NS or a Shooting Master. I have a Shooting Master and a Registered Magnum. I still think that the S&W is more refined. But the Colt looks better.

·
Registered
41 Posts
You are right! But I was thinking of a late NS or a Shooting Master. I have a Shooting Master and a Registered Magnum. I still think that the S&W is more refined. But the Colt looks better.
I certainly don't speak for myself only but I would appreciate to see one or two pictures of your Registered Magnum, please. I once had two of his descendants but quality and appearance will never reach out to the original.

·
Registered
11,251 Posts
S&W .357 Registered Magnum from 1937. The customer had a choice of any barrel length from 3 1/2 to 8 3/4 inches in 1/4" increments, two hammers, two grips, several sight combinations, sighted in to customers specifications with customer's choice of ammunition, and sight picture.

It only took S&W a short time to figure out that the process of custom building the revolver was too time consuming for a revolver that had a wholesale price of $39.00.

·
Registered
69 Posts
S&W .357 Registered Magnum from 1937. The customer had a choice of any barrel length from 3 1/2 to 8 3/4 inches in 1/4" increments, two hammers, two grips, several sight combinations, sighted in to customers specifications with customer's choice of ammunition, and sight picture.

It only took S&W a short time to figure out that the process of custom building the revolver was too time consuming for a revolver that had a wholesale price of $39.00.

I think that by offering all of this during the depression it attracted orders that otherwise wouldn't have been submitted. Its hard for all of us to picture, but the early 30's were a very difficult time for the firearm companies. Winchester Repeating Arms was forced into receivership in 1931. I'm sure an industry titan like that folding would be cause for concern for any competitor.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I for one have recently discovered this model! I am traditionally a 1911 guy, but I would love to own a New Service, particularly the target model. Any advice on websites to keep an eye on, other than GB? What should one expect to pay for a New Service Target Model in Good shape?

·
Premium Member
6,063 Posts
The new service can occasionally be had for a pretty good price, even today. About 3 years ago I added an unaltered 455 from 1916 shooter grade to my collection for about $300. Those were typically the lowest priced new services in the past. Double that price today for a shooter. Commercial 45 colts can still be found for 6-$800. Same as 38-40 revolvers. A little more for 38 special and 44-40 revolvers. 44 special brings a good premium. These days 1917 revolvers have surpassed commercial 45 colt due to military collectors.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'm still holding out hope I can get a NS .357 (a real one not a converted .38) someday. I run into the .45C models quite a bit, they're second on the list, but from what I understand I need to be diligent about ammo. No way were they made for the ".45 Magnum" type loads we see all over these days.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts