Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all know the emblem of Colt, the jumping pony with the broken spear in it's mouth and the shaft between it's frontlegs.

But when did this became the Colt emblem? When did it first surface on documents, ammo packaging or guns?

I have seen a picture in Colt, an american legend of the first Colt with a letter seal which shows a running horse which dates it at 1834.

But I want to know when the Colt horse got his original shape.

Thanks,

Gunsmoke

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
According to TBOCF, "The rampant colt trademark underwent basic design changes in its long history, but has continued in use on the company's firearms since the early 1870's. It was first filed for registration with the Patent Office on the 19th of February 1890. Registration was issued on April 29, 1890, being assigned number 17817." /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, A1A.

But when did it appear on the Colt firearms and which firearm or type was the first to bear the Colt Logo?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
The "pony"(rampant colt) first appeared in 1890,in a circle,or on some models,like the New Service & Officers,with a stylized "C" around it.

Circle and stylized C disappeared circa 1912;just the Pony remained.

I have a 1901 SAA,1912 Bisley.1907 32/20 DA and a few more in the circle. My early,pre 1913 New Services,a 1910 Officers, have the stylized C around it.

So,figure circa 1890,and I would say on all models,when they 'got around to it'.

BTW,hope you know that the Dutch did NOT sell New York(and NYC),but surrended them to the Brits without firing a shot in its defense! Dutch residents hated their leader Peter Stuyversant,more than they feared the Brits!!

The indian chief who sold Manhattan Island(NYC) to the Dutch for a reported $24.00 or so-was NOT the chief of the tribe who actually owned the island!

You ought to change your "quote" to say;"Look what has happened to Haarlem(Harlem) after the Dutch left?!"(It was a very exclusive section of NYC under Dutch, British and early Colonial American rule/residency).

BTW,in the BOCFA,there is a picture of an E frame Colt that Colt used to register the name "Pony" for use on a future model; they eventually used it on a .380 auto in the 1990's
,not this E frame in the 1940's.

Bud

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With sell-off I met letting something valuable slip away for free. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

And I can tell you - ask any of our nabors - that's very undutchlike!

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Make an offer. You just might be able to get it back. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So you want the Dutch to clear your mess up eeh? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Say, what's in this for me?(typical dutch 17th century merchant behaviour) LOL

But this deal does not include a certain Mrs. Clinton, we already have a queen and she functions a lot better!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

1 - 9 of 9 Posts